WindowBuilder install on Helios breaks dependencies

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

WindowBuilder install on Helios breaks dependencies

Postby holsinger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 am

I have two Eclipse RCP-Version Helios installs. 1 has been updated with WindowBuilder, latest version, the other has not.

I'm attempting to port an Eclipse-Galileo app which uses the CNF over to Helios/WB and having problems with configuring the CNF...

After creating a simple RCP test app, if I add the dependencies org.eclipse.ui.navigator or org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resources in the windowbuilder-updated version, upon running the app, I get an OSGI error saying that it can't find the resource. Also, between the two helios installs, creating the exact same project creates two different versions of the manifest file. See below for each manifest file's contents - there's a difference...it's almost like the install of WindowBuilder replaced some core eclipse bundles with it's own...?

Also, for a while there on the window-builder-install version I was getting a missing requirement upon auto-validating the plugins for javax.mail.glassfish...again, something else I think related to the WindowBuilder installation...? (I wasn't using javax.mail at all in my small test project)

My environment:
Windows XP, Helios latest stable release, WindowBuilder 7.6.0.r36x201008180508

Attached is a zip containing three files: Help>Eclipse Installation Details>Configuration tab contents for each Helios instance I'm testing on, and the console output from the wb version showing the launch errors from the console...

Helios WITHOUT WindowBuilder Manifest contents:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: PluginNoWindowBuilder2
Bundle-SymbolicName: PluginNoWindowBuilder2; singleton:=true
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.qualifier
Bundle-Activator: pluginnowindowbuilder2.Activator
Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.ui,
org.eclipse.core.runtime,
org.eclipse.core.resources,
org.eclipse.ui.navigator,
org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resources
Bundle-ActivationPolicy: lazy
Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.6

Helios WITH WindowBuilder Manifest contents:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: TestPluginProject2
Bundle-SymbolicName: TestPluginProject2; singleton:=true
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.qualifier
Bundle-Activator: testpluginproject2.Activator
Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.ui,
org.eclipse.core.runtime,
org.eclipse.ui.navigator;bundle-version="3.5.0",
org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resources;bundle-version="3.4.200"
Bundle-ActivationPolicy: lazy
Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.6
Attachments
DEV.zip
(88.7 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
holsinger

Re: WindowBuilder install on Helios breaks dependencies

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:11 am

The WB install does not replace any core Eclipse code (or any Eclipse code period, for that matter).

I tried creating a brand new RCP project in two different Eclipse 3.6 installations - one using WB and one not using WB. I then added references to the navigator plugins. In both cases, the manifest ended up looking exactly the same.

I have no idea why you would be seeing any differences, but I don't see anything here that appears to be WB related.

Looking at your manifest, my only suggestion would be to remove the "bundle-version" references to see if that makes any difference at runtime (you really shouldn't need those there...and WB does not cause them to be added).
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby holsinger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:15 am

Welp,

This turned out to be a bug in Eclipse Helios, not a fault of WindowBuilder.

The bug: When you run up the Run Configurations and - being the sheep that I sometimes am - click on the "Validate Plugins" button, it doesn't always find sub-dependent packages. In my case, it didn't find a sub-dependency to org.eclipse.ui.navigator.

Resolution: add it manually in the same Run Configuration dialog, THEN click the "Validate Plugins" button.

Eric C - I just got an email from the forum as I was updating my post...I did indeed try and remove the bundle-version, but to no avail - ended up having to do what I just described for each import...

BTW - congrats on the google purchase - I hope you're driving a very nice car today - I hear that Mel Gibson's Maserati may be up for sale, real cheap... LOL.

Cheers.
holsinger

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:33 am

holsinger wrote:congrats on the google purchase - I hope you're driving a very nice car today

Thanks! No lifestyle changes planned yet...just pay the bills, fix up the house, fund the 529's, and save/invest the rest ;-)

Google is a wonderful home for our team and our products, and we are thrilled at the opportunities for the future.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer