Too small shell, and memory problem

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Too small shell, and memory problem

Postby punki81 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi
I have 2 problems:
1:
I have composite biger then shell sow I cant see my whole window in swt designer, but when i run program i have nice scroll and it's work ok. But it's big problem to set components when i can't see where I'm puting them ;) I CAN'T make the shell biger and I don't know why.

2:
When I work with swt designer after some time it start working VERY slow, memory is droping and I get error about end of memory :/

I'm using:
Eclipse Platform
Version: 3.1.0
Build id: 200412162000

Designer:
Version: 3.0.1
Build id: 2004.12.31

RAM: 512
punki81

Postby punki81 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:17 pm

one more think, shell is only as big as screen and i want too make shell BIGER then screen. Composit can be biger but how make shell biger then screen??
punki81

Re: Too small shell, and memory problem

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:14 am

punki81 wrote:I have composite biger then shell sow I cant see my whole window in swt designer, but when i run program i have nice scroll and it's work ok. But it's big problem to set components when i can't see where I'm puting them ;) I CAN'T make the shell biger and I don't know why.

I'm not sure what problem you are describing. You can make a shell larger in Designer by either dragging the bottom-right corner handler in the design view or by setting the size property in the property pane.

punki81 wrote:When I work with swt designer after some time it start working VERY slow, memory is droping and I get error about end of memory :/
Designer:
Version: 3.0.1
Build id: 2004.12.31

How do you have Eclipse configured to use memory (what are your Eclipse startup parameters)?

You might also try the latest v3.0.1 build.

punki81 wrote:one more think, shell is only as big as screen and i want too make shell BIGER then screen. Composit can be biger but how make shell biger then screen?

You can't. You can set the size larger in the properties, but the OS (and consequently Designer) will truncate the actual window to the size of the screen.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby punki81 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:13 pm

I have somthing like this:
+shell
--|-scrolledComposite
-----|-TabFolder
--------|-composite

(shell include scrolledComposite, scrolledComposite include TabFolder, TabFolder include composite)

Shell is as big as screen, scrolledComposite too, but composite is biger. When I run my application it works ok because scrolledComposite will scroll biger composite. But in design mode in eclipse I don't see this part of composite which is biger then scrolledComposite sow I have problem with placeing components. I cant make shell and scrolledComposite biger and I don't know why. How make this part of composite outside shell visible in design mode in eclipse?
punki81

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:54 pm

punki81 wrote:Shell is as big as screen, scrolledComposite too, but composite is biger. When I run my application it works ok because scrolledComposite will scroll biger composite. But in design mode in eclipse I don't see this part of composite which is biger then scrolledComposite sow I have problem with placeing components. I cant make shell and scrolledComposite biger and I don't know why. How make this part of composite outside shell visible in design mode in eclipse?

Create the Composite in a separate class and then embed an instance in the ScrolledComposite. The Composite can be as big as you like.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby punki81 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:49 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:Create the Composite in a separate class and then embed an instance in the ScrolledComposite. The Composite can be as big as you like.

I know that composite can be as big as I like. But I'm asking how make visible this part of composite which is outside shell(becouse composite is biger then shell so same part of it is outside shell) IN DESIGN MODE IN ECLIPSE. Like I said I don't have problem with working program, only with placeing components on this part of composite wich is biger then shell.
Screenshot maybe will help to understand what I'm talking about:

So as you can see composite is biger then shell, and this part outside shell is not visible. What should I do to see IN DESIGN MODE (when I run program I have scroll so it's not problem) this part of composite??
punki81

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:17 am

punki81 wrote:So as you can see composite is biger then shell, and this part outside shell is not visible. What should I do to see IN DESIGN MODE (when I run program I have scroll so it's not problem) this part of composite??

As I said before...

Create the Composite in a separate class and then embed an instance in the ScrolledComposite. The Composite can be as big as you like.
If you do this, it does not matter how big the shell is or how big the scrolled composite is as you wil be editing the composite by itself.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby punki81 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:42 pm

thx I will try :)
punki81

Return to SWT Designer