Palette corrupt icons in Ubuntu

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Palette corrupt icons in Ubuntu

Postby gaspo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:00 am

I have weird problem in Ubuntu where palette icons don't show up properly, see attachment. In addition to weird icons the designer also renders artifacts on the dialog box. When I click Preview the dialog box is shown properly.

I run Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit, Sun Java 6 and Eclipse Galileo. I have also installed latest WindowBuilderPro and the same thing happens in Helios too.
I run Eclipse with
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1

Any suggestions?
Attachments
eclipse-builder.png
eclipse-builder.png (84.51 KiB) Viewed 232 times
gaspo

Re: Palette corrupt icons in Ubuntu

Postby Alexander.Mitin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 am

Are you running Ubuntu on any virtual machine?
What if to remove GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS env var?
Alexander Mitin
Alexander.Mitin

Postby gaspo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:59 am

I do not run Ubuntu under VM.
Yes, I have tried running without GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS, no difference.
gaspo

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:16 am

Welcome to the buggy world of Linux/GTK graphics.

For the palette icons, it is possible that they have become corrupted, so a reinstall may be necessary.

As to the artifacts you are seeing, that is exactly how GTK is drawing them for us.

This appears to be caused by some new bug in the latest GTK. Sometimes it simply draws GTK (native) widgets in the wrong position - usually at (0, 0).

For example, see the following screenshot of a GTK Combo: its button is drawn at (0,0).

gtk-combo.png
gtk-combo.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 221 times
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby gaspo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:09 am

I already did a complete reinstall of WindowBuilderPro when I moved to Eclipse Helios. The palette icons are still corrupt. I have also noticed that when I open a source file with WindowBuilder Editor file tab icon is corrupt too. When I open with eclipse editor the icon is fine. See below.

As for drawing artifacts, these appear only in the design mode. When I preview the dialog box all is drawn normally. Not sure where the drawing differences come from.
Attachments
eclipse-tabs.png
eclipse-tabs.png (7.19 KiB) Viewed 217 times
gaspo

Postby Alexander.Mitin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:28 am

Palette icons: could you please try with new (default) user profile? We've never seen such issue before; they display correctly at our end (on various linux installations).
Artifacts on the Design Pane: dialog box renders correctly at the preview time because it renders on screen. We need it to render onto an off screen pixmap which you then see in the Design Pane. In that scenario, it renders incorrectly and differently between different Linux distros and versions (some are quite buggy like the version you are using). Perhaps this issue requires interacting with the GTK developers.
Alexander Mitin
Alexander.Mitin

Postby gaspo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:18 am

I have tried installing Window Builder under different user and the icons were drawn properly. Dialog box artifacts, however remained.
So it it seems that some system files under my current user profile are causing Window Builder icon corruption.

Edit:
I just updated WindowBuilder with the latest version under my normal user profile and the icons show up properly. Did you make some changes for this? This is great.
Perhaps this was the reason the palette icons showed up properly under different user too.
I can not, though, change the width of the palette panel.
gaspo

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:21 pm

gaspo wrote:Did you make some changes for this?

No. We didn't change a thing, and the palette images have not changed in a long time.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer