Designer view does not contain handles to scroll around

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Designer view does not contain handles to scroll around

Postby nph » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:42 am

When I am making a display that is bigger than the viewport for the design I get no handles giving me the opportunity to scroll around to the other parts of my design, I always get the upper left corner area. I am using Windowbuilder 2.1.1 for Eclipse 3.1. How do I overcome this problem?
Also in the properties table there are icons which if you make the window narrower get overlayed and thereby disappears.
nph

Re: Designer view does not contain handles to scroll around

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:36 am

nph wrote:When I am making a display that is bigger than the viewport for the design I get no handles giving me the opportunity to scroll around to the other parts of my design, I always get the upper left corner area. I am using Windowbuilder 2.1.1 for Eclipse 3.1. How do I overcome this problem?

You should see scrollbars in the design area...

You can also turn on the Designer > Editor Layout Show thumbnail in Outline view preference. This will show a thumbnail of the current design with the visible portion of the design highlighted (which you can then drag around).

You can also temporarily enlarge the design area by clicking the local zoom button in the toolbar.

Image Image

nph wrote:Also in the properties table there are icons which if you make the window narrower get overlayed and thereby disappears.

True. If you make the property pane narrow enough, you won't be able to use it at all. If it is narrow enough that one or more of the icons is hidden, you won't be able to see the property names and/or values either. If you always want to see those icons no matter what, turn off the Designer > Editor Layout > Use separate pages for properties and events preference. Rather than...

You would get...

You can also control the relative location of the widget tree and property pane using the various Designer > Editor Layout > Canvas position options.

Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby nph » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:51 am

I have tried what you proposed but I still do not get the full scroll bar at the bottom of the design window and I do not get any scrollbar at all at right. The tumbnail window shows up but showing a grayed area as if I have had seen the complete design area horisontally but not vertically meaning I can drag the window up and down but not left to right. I do not know how to add a picture to this otherwise I could have made that.
nph

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:24 pm

nph wrote:I have tried what you proposed but I still do not get the full scroll bar at the bottom of the design window and I do not get any scrollbar at all at right. The tumbnail window shows up but showing a grayed area as if I have had seen the complete design area horisontally but not vertically meaning I can drag the window up and down but not left to right. I do not know how to add a picture to this otherwise I could have made that.

Try the new SWT Designer v3.0.0 release. There appears to be a bug in the 3.1 version of the Eclipse SWT libraries (not present in 3.0) that caused the problem you ran into. We have a work around in the v3.0.0 release.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby nph » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:49 am

Thank you very much Eric for the prompt answers and solution to my problem it worked fine with the new version.

I think you keep a very good and sensitive eye on this forum I am really impressed. Although I have had only two problems that I have posted here I feel that I have got answers, and what is more important, solutions very fast.
Thanks once more and keep up the good work it is really appreciated.

Best Regards
Peter

a very satisfied Windowbuilder customer.
nph

Return to SWT Designer