Unknown Window Type (Parsing Error)

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Unknown Window Type (Parsing Error)

Postby jnorris » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:45 am

I've been using designer for a while now and really like the tool. Now I'm trying to get some other developers in my group to take a look at using the tool as well with the hopes that it will become a standard tool for our java gui development. Unfortunately the first one to try using it has not been able to get past the basics. He downloaded and installed windowbuilder and activated it for a trial. I worked with him to create a basic JFace and SWT application. In each case the app runs ok but both projects indicate an error when the Design button is chosen. It says "Unknown Window Type (Parsing Error) and none of the controls are shown.

Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated. Environment is eclipse 3.0.1 and designer 2.1.1
jnorris

Re: Unknown Window Type (Parsing Error)

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:00 pm

jnorris wrote:Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated. Environment is eclipse 3.0.1 and designer 2.1.1

Are these windows created by Designer or another tool? Has any of the GUI layout code been modeified by hand? This problem is always specific to the class you are editing. As the error suggests, Designer had a probem parsing the file for some reason. The Eclipse ".log" should provide some insight into why that was the case. Send the log as well as the source for the class you are trying to edit to support@swt-designer.com for analysis.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

RE: parsing error problem

Postby jnorris » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:40 am

The only thing done was:
1) Create new SWT/JFace Java Project
2) New -> Other -> Designer -> JFace Application Window
3) Open the new class in the designer editor
4) Click the Design tab

This causes the error to appear. However the expected blank window appears if the application is Run.

I'll send the class file and log as requested.

Thanks
Jim
jnorris

Problem solved

Postby jnorris » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:43 am

The problem seems to have occurred when eclipse updated itself from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 after Designer was installed. After a fresh re-install of the full version of eclipse 3.0.1 and Designer, the problem is no longer there. The log showed that the error was an internal Designer error due to a class not found exception for
Code: Select all
org/eclipse/jdt/core/dom/DesignerAST
jnorris

Return to SWT Designer