SWT Designer suggestion

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

SWT Designer suggestion

Postby CrystalPalace » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:05 pm

Hi everybody!

First I have to say that I am using SWT designer Pro now for almost a year and it has saved my life several times when I was trying to design SWT stuff :D
But now to the subject part:
First, I often use CTabFolders in my apps and I am missing an easy way to tell SWT whether or not to use "simple" mode. I code it manually but it would be nice to have that feature available in the designer.
Second, do you plan the integration of a status line control? SWT offers the creation of status line via StatusLineManager, so i would appreciate some way to click on a "status line" control, place it and designer creates the necessary code for me :)

Thx in advance and greetings from germany!

Christian
CrystalPalace

Re: SWT Designer suggestion

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:13 pm

CrystalPalace wrote:First, I often use CTabFolders in my apps and I am missing an easy way to tell SWT whether or not to use "simple" mode. I code it manually but it would be nice to have that feature available in the designer.

The latest v2.0.1 build includes support for the new Eclipse 3.0 CTabFolder styles and attributes.

CrystalPalace wrote:Second, do you plan the integration of a status line control? SWT offers the creation of status line via StatusLineManager, so i would appreciate some way to click on a "status line" control, place it and designer creates the necessary code for me :)

In the context of JFace ApplicationWindows or something else? We could certainly add StatusLineManager support to ApplicationWindows, but I'm not sure it would make sense in any other context.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby CrystalPalace » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:27 am

The latest v2.0.1 build includes support for the new Eclipse 3.0 CTabFolder styles and attributes.

Well, I downloaded the latest release before writing this suggestion after having made some real bad experiences with the cheetah release of eclipse - and I found your warning after my system crashed severely several times :-)

In Designer, when I select a CTabFolder, i can only see properties in the style section for "border,flat,tabs"...i cant find anything to chnage simple mode.

In the context of JFace ApplicationWindows or something else? We could certainly add StatusLineManager support to ApplicationWindows, but I'm not sure it would make sense in any other context.

Yes, in my opinion a status line should be available in a JFace ApplicationWindow, but it could also be useful when creating a plain SWT application using the wizard
CrystalPalace

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:32 am

CrystalPalace wrote:Well, I downloaded the latest release before writing this suggestion after having made some real bad experiences with the cheetah release of eclipse - and I found your warning after my system crashed severely several times :-)

Considering that I added the enhanced CTabFolder support after seeing your suggestion, I am guessing that you are using the latest release - 1. ;-)
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby CrystalPalace » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:57 am

I downloaded now the 2004.07.10 release and I can see the CTabFolder properties that I wanted :D

Thx!!

So, I havent check for the status line, but this helps me a lot so far :)
CrystalPalace

Postby admin » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:33 am

CrystalPalace wrote:Yes, in my opinion a status line should be available in a JFace ApplicationWindow, but it could also be useful when creating a plain SWT application using the wizard

org.eclipse.jface.action.StatusLine class is package private. :-(
In reallity I am not sure that it is possible to do something useful with status line with Designer. IMHO status line is useful in such complex applications as editors, IDE, etc. I.e. in places that in any case require much manual coding.

You can easy implement something like status line using Composite with one or more Label's.
admin

Postby CrystalPalace » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:46 am

What I was thinking about is that you select a "status line" control in Designer, place it anywhere e.g. in a JFace ApplicationWindow and Designer takes care of creating something like the following:
Code: Select all
//field declaration
   private StatusLineManager mgr = new StatusLineManager();

and
Code: Select all
   protected Control createContents(Composite parent) {
      Composite container = new Composite(parent, SWT.NONE);
      container.setLayout(new BorderLayout(0, 0));
      {
         final Control statusLineControl = mgr.createControl(container);
         statusLineControl.setLayoutData(BorderLayout.SOUTH);
         mgr.setMessage("Test");
      }
      //

return container;
   }

I often use StatusLineManager when e.g. a long-term op is running and the use of a ProgressMonitorDialog is not possible because it would hide a important part of the app which is constantly updating.

Since it is only a suggestion, I would prefer to have some easy kind to implement that, but I can also code that manually :)
It would be nice to have that since Delphi and the rest apps provide an easy way to create Status lines-maybe you can spend some time thinking about how to integrate taht :wink:
CrystalPalace

Re: SWT Designer suggestion

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:01 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:
CrystalPalace wrote:Second, do you plan the integration of a status line control? SWT offers the creation of status line via StatusLineManager, so i would appreciate some way to click on a "status line" control, place it and designer creates the necessary code for me :)

StatusLineManager support has been added to JFace ApplicationWindows in the new v2.0.1 2004.07.11 build.

If you create a new ApplicationWindow, the constructor will now call addStatusLine() and a createStatusLineManager() method will be created. You will be able to set the status line text (and image) in the property pane. If you have an existing ApplicationWindow, you should add the call to addStatusLine() and then call setStatus() or getStatusLineManager().setMessage().
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer