1.2.4b : Clicking outline view doesn't navigate to source

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

1.2.4b : Clicking outline view doesn't navigate to source

Postby cebarne2 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:06 am

In source mode, I click on a method in the (standard) outline view, but it does not go to that spot in the code. No errors in the log, just doesn't navigate.

Closing the SWT editor and opening in a standard Java editor fixes the problem. Reopening the SWT editor still presents the issue.

Thanks
cebarne2

Re: 1.2.4b : Clicking outline view doesn't navigate to sourc

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:09 pm

cebarne2 wrote:In source mode, I click on a method in the (standard) outline view, but it does not go to that spot in the code. No errors in the log, just doesn't navigate.

Hmmm. When I try it, it seems to work fine. What version of Eclipse are you using?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby cebarne2 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:46 am

Eclipse 2.1.2
Designer 1.2.4b (downloaded March 11th)

When I click on a variable in the outline view, the following text appears in the status bar (at the bottom of the Eclipse shell):

Code: Select all
com.rockwellcollins.cdt.gnu.managedConfig.propertyPages.GNUPropertyPage.txtProjConfig : Text - com.rockwellcollins.cdt.gnu.managedConfig/src

Though, the same thing happens with the standard Java editor, but it follows-up by highlighting the variable in code.

I have also tried this with a fresh install of 2.1.2 and Designer 1.2.4b, same thing. Does not highlight the code when I click the outline view. In this test, the only plug-in installed (outside the Eclipse 2.1.2 package) was SWT-Designer.
cebarne2

Postby raphael » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:26 am

I have two versions of Eclipse / SWT Designer installed. In one I have the same problem as cebarne2, the other it works.

Here are the specs for the one that doesn't work:

Designer Product: SWT Designer
Designer Version: 1.2.4 compiled on 2004.03.11 for Eclipse 2.1 or WSAD 5.1
Platform Product: Eclipse Platform
Platform Version: 2.1.0
OS Name: Windows XP
OS Architecture: x86
OS Version: 5.1

Here are the specs for the one that does work:

Designer Product: SWT Designer
Designer Version: 1.2.3 compiled on 2004.02.07 for Eclipse 2.1 or WSAD 5.1
Platform Product: Eclipse Platform
Platform Version: 2.1.2
OS Name: Windows XP
OS Architecture: x86
OS Version: 5.1
raphael

Postby raphael » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:36 am

ok, I just found something out that is quite weird. I am using my version of Designer that doesn't highlight the element in the code. This is what I do.

I open up the hierarchy view (in the same view container as the package explorer).
I make sure that in the top part of the hierarchy view the current class is selected.
Then I click on one of the elements in the bottom view.
Now suddenly it works to click on elements in the Outline view and have it go directly to that element in the source code.
If you close and reopen the editor for the file, it doesn't work again.

I don't know if that will help in the least bit. It was just quite odd.
raphael

Postby cebarne2 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:46 am

Confirmed.

If I open the type hierarchy for the java file, now the outline view suddenly works as expected (clicking it causes navigation to the source code).

But, if I close the editor and reopen it, the outline view is again broken... until I open the type hierarchy.

Thanks for the temp workaround, raphael.
cebarne2

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:46 am

I've tried this now on several different machines with Eclipse 2.1.0, 2.1.2 and 3.0, and I am unable to reproduce this behavior (with or without the hierarchy view open). Designer uses the standard Java editor as-is and does not include any code that might account for this bizarre behavior.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby cebarne2 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:59 am

Would you perhaps be using a different 1.2.4 build than the March 11th?

I know how frustrating these support requests can be. I would hope anyone else having this difficulty will chime in to help SWT-Designer support build a profile of the problem.

It appears to be a problem like the cut&paste. SWT-Designer may use the Java editor as-is, but something happened to disable the copy&paste in certain circumstances (see an earlier post). Granted, I have not seen this copy&paste issue arise in 1.2.4b yet.

Please lean on me for any configuration info you need for my system:

Eclipse 2.1.2
SWT-Designer: 1.2.4 (March 11th build)
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1
2.4 GHz P4
1 GB RAM

Eclipse launch args:
"C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vmargs -Xms128M -Xmx512M
cebarne2

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:33 pm

cebarne2 wrote:Would you perhaps be using a different 1.2.4 build than the March 11th?

Nope. That is the same version I'm using. What happens if you select methods in the Package Explorer or Java Browsing perspective? Can you try it in Eclipse 3.0?

cebarne2 wrote:It appears to be a problem like the cut&paste. SWT-Designer may use the Java editor as-is, but something happened to disable the copy&paste in certain circumstances (see an earlier post).

I attribute the cut/paste issue to some sort of exception that put the editor into an unstable state. If you haven't seen that again in v1.2.4, we might have fixed the underlying problem. Unless you are seeing an exception in the log, I don't think this current issue is related.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby raphael » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:39 pm

I tried putting the latest beta on my copy of Eclipse where this worked. After I put in the 1.2.4 beta, the elements wouldn't highlight.
I then tried putting the 1.2.3 GA version on the copy of Eclipse where the highlighting didn't work. With v1.2.3 the highlighting did work.
I then tried putting a slightly older v1.2.4 beta on and it still didn't work. The build date for the slightly older beta is 2004.03.09. This is the oldest that I have of v1.2.4 so I couldn't test any more.

On both copies of Eclipse, v1.2.3 worked fine but v1.2.4 beta did not.

I had even tried deleting the plug-in configuration data for designer in .metadata so that it would seem like designer was installed for the first time. It didn't change anything.
raphael

Postby raphael » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:50 pm

Selecing methods in the Package Explorer does not highlight the method in code even with just a regular Java editor (at least not for me).

The members view in the Java Browsing Perspective works. I tried adding the Outline view to the Java Browsing Perspecting and it works similarly to the Hierarchy thing. If I open a file in the Java perspective then switch to the Java Browsing perspective, the outline view won't highlight the elements unless i use some other view that selects elements first. Opening up a file in the Java Browsing Perspective makes the outline view work because when you open a class, the class name is highlighted.

It seems that some other view has to select an element in the class before the outline view will be able to.
raphael

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:25 pm

raphael wrote:Selecing methods in the Package Explorer does not highlight the method in code even with just a regular Java editor (at least not for me).

Do you have the Link with Editor option turned on?

Have you tried this in Eclipse 3.0 at all?
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby raphael » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:04 pm

I haven't tried this in Eclipse 3 at all.

I'm not sure what or where the Link with Editor option is, but I went to the Java > Editor preference page. Then I checked the "Syncronize outline selection on cursor move (editor must be reopened)" option.
After I checked that option it worked!! Unchecking the option made it stop working again.
Is that the option you were referring to? In any case it worked.
raphael

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:55 am

raphael wrote:I'm not sure what or where the Link with Editor option is, but I went to the Java > Editor preference page. Then I checked the "Syncronize outline selection on cursor move (editor must be reopened)" option.
After I checked that option it worked!! Unchecking the option made it stop working again.
Is that the option you were referring to? In any case it worked.

That isn't the option I was refering to, but I'm glad it worked. The Link with Editor option is in the Package Explorer itself.

BTW, we did another beta refresh this weekend that fixes a couple of other reported issues. I don't know whether it will have any effect on this problem or not.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby cebarne2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:30 am

Just clicking "Link with Editor" did nothing for me.

But, I found if I use the outline tree inside the package explorer, it navigates to source. And, after using it, then the standard outline view works correctly.

Close, reopen editor and the standard outline view again does not work.

Selecting "Syncronize outline selection on cursor move (editor must be reopened)" option, and reopening the editor does nothing at first. Outline view still doesn't navigate, until I move the cursor in the source, then the outline view seems to get a kick in the pants and works. But, same story. Close the editor, reopen, and it doesn't work again.

I do not like this last option, because I don't want the outline view's selection changing whenever I move through the source.

I'm confident this will not be a problem in 3.0, but that's not an option for us. We have standardized on 2.1.x. I need to know if we need to throw out 2.1.2, or if it is just a bug in the SWT-Designer.
cebarne2

Next

Return to SWT Designer