Evaluation Report - Fair Assessment?

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Evaluation Report - Fair Assessment?

Postby Franco Dal Molin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:50 am

Hello all. One of our developers evaluated SWT Designer 6.4.1 and came back with the following summary. Can you comment? We are especially interested to know if the issues in the "Disadvantages" section are fairly assessed. Did we overlook anything? Do you have specific suggestions or are releases in the planning addressing our points? Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Franco,
Collanos Software

--------

Evaluation Report - SWTDesigner V6.4.1

1. The Most Useful Features

During "Task Perspective" implementation Window Builder was used for initial GUI representation design. So far I have found that this tool has a rich components repository for Swing, SWT and Jface development altogether with compatibility to create RCP application components. It also upkeeps bi-directional code handling and strings externalization mechanism.

So here is the list of the most useful (in scope of our project) features found during Window Builder usage:

- Very fast GUI design creation (about 3 times faster then making it manually or maybe even more)
    - Easy navigation\manipulation of controls properties
    - Applicable code creation and its bi-directional handling
    - Fast strings externalization mechanism

There is also a package for web projects designing but it was not tested. Maybe we could look closer on that part if we will decide to implement some web representation for server management. There is also a plenty of additional functions described in the user guide, but it could take long time to test them all. Among the features that look useful at first glance are the visual inheritance support and data binding capability.

2. The Disadvantages

Although I have found Window Builder a very useful tool during the work with it I have experienced a lot of problems. Here is the list of the most significant disadvantages:

- If I use Window Builder Design Page – it leads system (Eclipse IDE) to become very slow and stop working after some time. In fact I had to restart Eclipse every 30 minutes while working with Window Builder. Maybe it's the question of hardware (I have 2GB RAM) or install problem or evaluation version problem – I don't know, but if this is the common behaviour of the tool – it's very bad.
    - Most of previously created dialogs (maybe even all) cannot be read by Window Builder. When I try to review the visual represantation of these dialogs – an empty page is displayed with message like “Unknown format...”. I suppose it happens because most of our dialogs do not inherit strictly from base jface classes but from self-made subclasses.
    - Window Builder adds some packages (I found 2 of them actually) to the project. They don't seem to be “heavy” but anyway I don't think it's correct.
    - Though the repository of the components is rich enough I couldn't find 1 component I needed for work with table control, so I had to implement it manually.
    - The parametrization of the control properties is not obvious (but it's very important for the multi-platform support) – maybe there is a mechanism to perform that but i couldn't find it quick enough.

3. Expected Benefits

Taking into account everything mentioned I would say that Window Builder is a good tool that can be very useful for creating new GUI parts or mock-ups for our application. But usually the proportion of GUI creation to the main logic design is about 30% to 70% efforts/time so we have to do the main part manually anyway. This fact together with described disadvantages holds me by the moment from giving this tool the status of “must have”.
Anyway I think that performed research is not enough as we have some more tasks where Window Builder could show itself from brighter side (especially if we look for a web-design tool).
Franco Dal Molin

Re: Evaluation Report - Fair Assessment?

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:52 am

Franco Dal Molin wrote:Hello all. One of our developers evaluated SWT Designer 6.4.1 and came back with the following summary. Can you comment? We are especially interested to know if the issues in the "Disadvantages" section are fairly assessed. Did we overlook anything? Do you have specific suggestions or are releases in the planning addressing our points?

My main problem with your assessment is that it is based on an old, beta version of the product (v6.4.1) rather that the current v6.5.0 or v6.5.1 versions. The "disadvantages" listed provide very little detail, and I could find no record of any support questions having been sent to us from anyone at Collanos, so I have no background on any of them.

Franco Dal Molin wrote:If I use Window Builder Design Page – it leads system (Eclipse IDE) to become very slow and stop working after some time. In fact I had to restart Eclipse every 30 minutes while working with Window Builder. Maybe it's the question of hardware (I have 2GB RAM) or install problem or evaluation version problem – I don't know, but if this is the common behavior of the tool – it's very bad.

This is definitely not common behavior at all. This could be the result of some sort of configuration problem (with Eclipse or WindowBuilder) or the result of some specific problem with the beta version you are using that has long since been fixed. Without a test case or your Eclipse ".log" file (to see any relevant exceptions) or any detail about your Eclipse configuration (you could have been using one of the earlier Eclipse 3.3 build with known, sever memory problems), I have nothing to go on. I use WindowBuilder pretty much all day long, day after day on a variety of very complex UIs, and don't have a problem. In the past, when we have occasionally encountered a memory problem caused by the tool, we have identified and corrected it very quickly. I would encourage you to try v6.5.1 using Eclipse 3.3.1.1 and see if you still have this problem. If you do, please send the details to our support group. We can't help you, if we don't know you are having a problem.

Franco Dal Molin wrote:Most of previously created dialogs (maybe even all) cannot be read by Window Builder. When I try to review the visual representation of these dialogs – an empty page is displayed with message like “Unknown format...”. I suppose it happens because most of our dialogs do not inherit strictly from base jface classes but from self-made subclasses.

Again, you have provided very little context. By "previously created", do you mean previously created by WindowBuilder or some other tool or by hand? WindowBuilder should be able to edit and window that it created or any other tool created and roughly 80% of anything written by hand. WindowBuilder currently supports visual inheritance of SWT Shells and Composites. It does not support visual inheritance of JFace Dialog classes (although you can easily achieve this using SWT Shells or Composites).

Franco Dal Molin wrote:Window Builder adds some packages (I found 2 of them actually) to the project. They don't seem to be “heavy” but anyway I don't think it's correct.

What two packages and what is not "correct"? Keep in mind that SWT does not automatically manage OS resources (images, fonts, colors) for you, so it is your responsibility to manage (cache, reuse and dispose) or any that you use. As part of its normal code generation, WindowBuilder does create one or more helper classes that do this work for you. If you are referring to something else, please be specific.

Franco Dal Molin wrote:Though the repository of the components is rich enough I couldn't find 1 component I needed for work with table control, so I had to implement it manually.

Without knowing what this one component is or whether it is something even supported by SWT, I have no way to comment.

Franco Dal Molin wrote:The parameterization of the control properties is not obvious (but it's very important for the multi-platform support) – maybe there is a mechanism to perform that but i couldn't find it quick enough.

I honestly have no idea what you mean by "parameterization of the control properties". If you can tell me what this means, I would be happy to comment or suggest a solution.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby Franco Dal Molin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:15 am

Thanks a lot Eric for your comments. I will get back to our developer and encourage him to both rerun the tests/evaluation with the proper versions that you suggested and to engage directly with you tech support with all the specifics. Appreciate your feedback.
Franco Dal Molin

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Franco Dal Molin wrote:I will get back to our developer and encourage him to both rerun the tests/evaluation with the proper versions that you suggested and to engage directly with you tech support with all the specifics.

Where possible, please have them send us test cases as well as complete Eclipse ".log" files.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer