Run-time Workbench error

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Run-time Workbench error

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:36 pm

I am new to Eclipse and SWT, and I keep running into a classpath problem...
I'm doing a project where I am using SWT widgets to display data from a custom Java data object. The problem I have is this- in the design view, Eclipse can see my custom data class and access its methods, etc. When I run my project as a Java Application, it works fine too. But I am trying to make it a Plug-in now, and when I test it on the Run-Time workbench, I get a NoClassDefFound error as soon as I instantiate an object from my data class. I have tried several different ways to tell the Run-Time workbench the path to my data class, and it is on the Java build path of my Plug-in code- so what can I do to make the Run-Time workbench find my class??

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Brian

Re: Run-time Workbench error

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:27 pm

Brian wrote:I'm doing a project where I am using SWT widgets to display data from a custom Java data object. The problem I have is this- in the design view, Eclipse can see my custom data class and access its methods, etc. When I run my project as a Java Application, it works fine too. But I am trying to make it a Plug-in now, and when I test it on the Run-Time workbench, I get a NoClassDefFound error as soon as I instantiate an object from my data class. I have tried several different ways to tell the Run-Time workbench the path to my data class, and it is on the Java build path of my Plug-in code- so what can I do to make the Run-Time workbench find my class?

Generally, questions like this should be posted to the Eclipse platform newsgroup. That said, it sounds like you just need to include a reference to your JAR file in your plugin manifest file (plugin.xml). If your plugin does not compile, that is a .classpath problem. If it fails to run, that is a plugin.xml problem.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Re: Run-time Workbench error

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:41 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:Generally, questions like this should be posted to the Eclipse platform newsgroup. That said, it sounds like you just need to include a reference to your JAR file in your plugin manifest file (plugin.xml). If your plugin does not compile, that is a .classpath problem. If it fails to run, that is a plugin.xml problem.

Sorry about that, and thanks for the help! Adding the JAR to the plugin.xml did the trick. :)
Brian

Return to SWT Designer