Databinding and Data Transfer Object

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Databinding and Data Transfer Object

Postby raven » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid that this question doesn't really belong here but actually don't know a better place where to put it and hope somebody can answer it.

Problem:
Having an RCP frontend which calls a WebService. The WebService
returns a DTO to the client.

Now I'm unsure if I should use that DTO directly in the Client code as a Domain object. If so, I would need to let the DTO inherit from a abstract class like AbstractModelObject, which contains the PropertyChangeSupport?! - or would that approach be totally wrong, or is there even a different way?

Intuitively, I like the idea of using the DTO directly, because then the data does not needed to be copied to some other model object - but on the other hand wouldn't this pollute the server side with client constraints?

Thanks very much!
raven

Re: Databinding and Data Transfer Object

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:12 pm

I don't think we can answer such philosophical questions for you.

If you are looking for Best Practices advice on using the Eclipse Data Binding framework, I would suggest posting to the approriate Eclipse newsgroup or mailing list.

As for practical advice, I would suggest tring it different ways to get a feel for it. If it works and you are happy with it, you are done.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer