RCP Packager zip file ain't working on MyEclipse 7.1

RCP Packager allows you to quickly create an RCP installer. Help Composer allows you to easily create and edit Eclipse Help projects and content.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, blacksmith

RCP Packager zip file ain't working on MyEclipse 7.1

Postby arick » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:10 pm

I am using MyEclipse 7.1 and trying to install RCPDeveloper into this environment. Using the update site, it seems to have gotten most of the required files, except RCP Packager. I've downloaded the RCP Packager, but each of the two places that I've tried installing it seem to fail. I've tried C:\Program Files\Genuitec\Common (where the other Instantiation files were placed by the update process) and I have tried the C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins directory.

Neither of them seem to take affect.
Note: I am attempting to validate the installation by checking for the presence of New RCP Application Project under "New->Projects". So far, this option hasn't appeared.

Where do I need to extract the RCP Packager zip file in order to get the MyEclipse installation to work?

-- A. Rick
arick

Re: RCP Packager zip file ain't working on MyEclipse 7.1

Postby gnebling » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:11 pm

I just tried placing the zip file contents into the dropins folder and it worked. I can see the RCP wizard.

How did you unzip the files? Your directory structure should look something like:
Code: Select all
\dropins\rcpdeveloper\eclipse
                            \features
                            \plugins

http://downloads.instantiations.com/RCP ... pse34.html
gnebling

Postby arick » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:59 pm

I've tried unzipping the RCP Packager zip file in the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins\rcpdeveloper\eclipse

I've tried a variety of directory names under "dropins" and I still can't get MyEclipse 7.1 to recognize the RCP Packager plugin. It doesn't show up on the New->Projects menu, it doesn't show up on Windows->Views->Other.

Under the eclipse directory, the extracted zip file creates two directories:
C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins\rcpdeveloper\eclipse\features
C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins\rcpdeveloper\eclipse\plugins

Note: The other Instantations files are stored in these directories, which is different:
C:\Program Files\Genuitec\Common\features
C:\Program Files\Genuitec\Common\plugins

The dropins directories have the additional program RCP Packager files. Even so, MyEclipse shows off all the other Instantations plugins, but it does not display the RCP Packager. I am running out of ideas on getting the manual install of the RCP Packager to work.

Any idea when the update site will be fixed (to include RCP Packager)? By any chance are there any plans to make an update archive file that I can download and use locally?
arick

Postby gnebling » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:34 pm

I wonder what's different between our MyEclipse environments. I have version 7.1.1 (from the Help>about window).
packager-dir.png
Here's what my dropins directory look like:
packager-dir.png (16.19 KiB) Viewed 1757 times

packager-wizard.png
I can see the RCP wizard (File > New > Projects...)
packager-wizard.png (29.06 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

I don't think there should be any entry under Window > Show Views > Other.

Just to make sure, is this the Packager zip file you installed?
http://download.instantiations.com/RCPP ... pse3.4.zip

Is there anything in your workspace log file that might help?
gnebling

Postby arick » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Actually, this may be a clue in my workspace log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.generator 2 0 2009-04-22 21:45:12.328
!MESSAGE An error occurred while generating manifest for C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins\rcpdeveloper.; artifact folder at C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins\rcpdeveloper has files: eclipse(dir)
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.osgi.service.pluginconversion.PluginConversionException: Could not find a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF, plugin.xml or a fragment.xml in C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\dropins\rcpdeveloper.

This seems strange because the zip file doesn't contain any files in the root directory. It only has the features and plugins directories.
Directory Listing.jpg
Installation Directory
Directory Listing.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 1741 times

The size of the zip file that you pointed to was slightly different then the one I had downloaded before, so I pulled yours down and installed that one. I get the same results in eclipse,
Project Types.jpg
Project types
Project Types.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
arick

Postby arick » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:49 am

I've gone back and completely deleted everything MyEclipse and Instantiations and installed from scratch. Then I unzipped the RCPDeveloper package into
C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.1\dropins\plugins

I am getting CodePro, and Window Tester, but RCPPackager is NOT showing up. Fundamentally this the problem that I've had all along, regardless of the technique that I use to manually install or update via the web site. I keep getting everything but RCPPackager.

I am now getting the following error message in the log file:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.generator 2 0 2009-04-24 15:36:06.875
!MESSAGE An error occurred while generating manifest for C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.1\dropins\plugins\com.instantiations.eclipse.jobs_4.6.0.; artifact folder at C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.1\dropins\plugins\com.instantiations.eclipse.jobs_4.6.0 is empty
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.osgi.service.pluginconversion.PluginConversionException: Could not find a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF, plugin.xml or a fragment.xml in C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.1\dropins\plugins\com.instantiations.eclipse.jobs_4.6.0.
arick

Postby gnebling » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Make sure to follow one of the supported dropins format described here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Gett ... ns_formats

If none of those work, I'm stumped. Can you install any other 3rd party plugins into the dropins directory?

How did you install MyEclipse?
gnebling

Postby arick » Fri May 08, 2009 9:46 am

I haven't solved this completely yet, but I have a handle on it. The problem appears to be with MyEclipse 7.1. The libraries that MyEclipse is using are not compatible with those of eclipse 3.4.2. I haven't verified this, but I'll bet that they aren't compatible with 3.4.1 either.

Initially, I was pulling down their "Install in One" executable and trying to work from that. Since Instantiations (and any other plugin installation) is looking for a classic eclipse folder with eclipse.exe, that doesn't work. For reasons that I never did figure out, while dropping RCPDeveloper into the MyEclipse dropins folder worked just fine, dropping RCPPackager into the same folder didn't. After fighting that for a couple of weeks, I switched to another approach.

I downloaded eclipse classic directly from the eclipse site and built from there. (I actually downloaded all of the eclipse 3.4.2 builds, but the classic installation was were I found what I believe is the problem).

My first pass with this approach failed. I installed MyEclipse, RCPDeveloper, RCPPackager and then attempted to update. I got an error message on org.eclipse.ui.ide. The exact error message was a red-herring.

2nd pass: I re-installed classic, updated it. Then I installed Instantiations. Then I updated eclipse from the eclipse help tab. This worked fine!

Then I attempted to install MyEclipse from the MyEclipse archive folder [I have limited download bandwidth, so I very much appreciated having the ability to download and use an archive folder!!! Thank-you MyEclipse]. This step is where the problem comes in. When attempting to use the eclipse update process to install MyEclipse into a current eclipse installation, I get a series of warnings from the update process that:
    (1) the MyEclipse libraries were older then those already installed,
    (2) that there were mutually exclusive dependencies and
    (3) that there were missing resources.

Sigh. I really like the JPA support provided by MyEclipse and the UML modeling is also nice. But right now, it appears that the latest version of MyEclipse isn't compatible with an updated eclipse 3.4.2.

BTW: The "update" site specifically tells you to uninstall RCPDeveloper if you loaded it by any other means, prior to installing from that site. I installed using the zip files and dumping them under dropins. If I attempt to update using this site, will it blow up? If I can't update an existing Instantiations install via this site, is there another one where I can?
arick

Postby gnebling » Mon May 11, 2009 11:28 am

BTW: The "update" site specifically tells you to uninstall RCPDeveloper if you loaded it by any other means, prior to installing from that site. I installed using the zip files and dumping them under dropins. If I attempt to update using this site, will it blow up? If I can't update an existing Instantiations install via this site, is there another one where I can?

Basically, whatever method you used to install should be the same method you need to use when updating/upgrading. You can't mix a zip file or full-installer installation with the update site or you might get unexpected results. So, if you initially installed RCPDeveloper using the zip file and now you want to update to a newer version, you'll need to re-install using the zip file of the newer version. If you want to switch to update site, you need to install into a clean copy of eclipse. From then on, you can use the update site to update.

By the way, you should report your findings regarding MyEclipse installation to the MyEclipse folks.
gnebling

Return to RCP Packager & Help Composer