MacOS+Java 6.0: Designer Error?

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

MacOS+Java 6.0: Designer Error?

Postby loslosbaby » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:19 am

Hiya! I am evaluating the WBPro, and its pretty cool so far!

I'm running 10.5.8, and I have the Apple java 1.6.0_Update_10 installed. I am using Pulse, with a eclipse 3.4 profile, and a 3.5 as well. 3.5 is not working, so, I downloaded (via pulse) the WBPro for Eclipse 3.4.

So far all has been well, with my java project set on 1.5. I want to use a Swing 1.6 feature and there's where things are problematic. When I change the per-project settings, and rebuild the project, and go into the Design tab, I get:

I see nothing in the FAQ about this. Now here's the funny part. I've done all these things to try to force 1.6 on eclipse:
- Java prefs app
- Changed symlinks in the Frameworks....Versions dir (broke everything, incl. Java Prefs dialog and Pulse)
- eclipse.ini -vm arg, on separate line, above -vmargs line, ...with full path to java program. I tried it with the dir, with the dir minus the bin dir, etc.

On the times that eclipse won't start, it clearly shows that the VM is the 1.5.0_20 version that system default. In the Frameworks...Versions dir, its Current->A (which is 1.5.0), and CurrentJDK->1.5.0. Does anyone have any clue what this is about? I've filed an enquiry (from the angle of "does Pulse do any special wonky mashing with the -vm argument for the eclipse binary?" type of post on the Pulse boards too.

Thanks tons in advance.

Greg
loslosbaby

Re: MacOS+Java 6.0: Designer Error?

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 am

The error message from Designer indicates that you need to run Eclipse using a JVM that is at or above the level that you want to compile your code.

As to how you tell a Pulse-based Eclipse installation what JVM to use, I have no idea.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to Swing Designer