PDE build ... genericTargets and eclipse.home

Tell us what you think about our book and report any errata. Sample chapters are available at http://www.qualityeclipse.com/

(Note: Previous Editions were called "Eclipse: Building Commercial Quality Plugins")

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel

PDE build ... genericTargets and eclipse.home

Postby tkubaska » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:17 pm

I'm looking at the PDE build and the file build.properties in the download.

I don't see ${eclipse.home} defined. I can echo it in build-favorites.xml, and it just prints as ${eclipse.home}. Now I know what it should be and I can just define it I guess. The directory that contains my eclipse executable (called eclipse) is /opt/eclipse3.5M5/eclipse. I'm curious though if the example build does assume that the definition comes from somewhere.

Also, the example build-favorites.xml sets ${buildDirectory} to /temp/eclipse.build. I changed that because I'd have to be root to write to / (or define a new group). So I set $buildDirectory} to /home/ted/EclipseProjects/BuildPDE. But I do now get a build error ... namely

Code: Select all
/opt/eclipse3.5M5/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5.0.v20090129/scripts/genericTargets.xml:95: Problem: failed to create task or type eclipse.buildScript
Cause: The name is undefined.

Does the example expect us to copy all these PDE build scripts into our own project? It looks as if I'm going to have to modify genericTargets.xml to get it to work.

-ted
tkubaska

Re: PDE build ... genericTargets and eclipse.home

Postby tkubaska » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:25 am

Well, I got beyond that error in my post that I am replying to, but I don't understand why. What I did was

right click on build-favorites.xml
    choose Run As -> Ant Build ...
    then click on the JRE tab
    choose Run in the same JRE a the workspace

Why did I need to do this?
tkubaska

Return to Book: Eclipse Plug-Ins (3rd Edition)