Minor issue with forum function

Anything about the Instantiations web sites, forums, etc.

Moderator: Eric Clayberg

Minor issue with forum function

Postby rationalblue » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:37 am

It would be helpful if, when you select "Post Reply" on a forum, the subject being discussed would be prefilled in the Subject line. There is no indication on the Reply page as to the specific thread to which you are replying, so I (mistakenly) thought "Post Reply" would start a new thread if I entered a new subject in the Subject line on that page.

Because I'm a confused nucklehead, I chose to "Edit" my original post on a thread. This, I now know, was a mistake. To protect the world from us range-fed nuckleheads, you should probably disallow "Edit" on posts after they have been submitted.
rationalblue

Re: Minor issue with forum function

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:46 am

rationalblue wrote:It would be helpful if, when you select "Post Reply" on a forum, the subject being discussed would be prefilled in the Subject line. There is no indication on the Reply page as to the specific thread to which you are replying, so I (mistakenly) thought "Post Reply" would start a new thread if I entered a new subject in the Subject line on that page.

Since we are using off-the-shelf PHP-based forum software, I have no idea how to make that happen. I poked through the available forum setup options and found nothing that would alter this behavior. New Topic is used to create a new thread and Post Reply is used to post a new entry into the current thread.

rationalblue wrote:Because I'm a confused nucklehead, I chose to "Edit" my original post on a thread. This, I now know, was a mistake. To protect the world from us range-fed nuckleheads, you should probably disallow "Edit" on posts after they have been submitted.

Yes, wholesale editing of an existing thread is not a good idea (as it loses all of the original context). The Edit function can be disabled, but I am reticent to do that as it is useful to allow folks to fix typos or add additional detail to posts that they just made.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to Web Site