How to wrap a .NET assembly?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

How to wrap a .NET assembly?

Postby bobcat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Could anyone tell me (in a step-by-step fashion) how to wrap a visual .NET assembly using VA Smalltalk 8.0? Is this even possible?
(I'm familiar with the OLE-wrapper generator for ActiveX controls, but I'm starting at ground zero regarding .NET components)
bobcat

Re: How to wrap a .NET assembly?

Postby marten » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:16 pm

bobcat wrote:Could anyone tell me (in a step-by-step fashion) how to wrap a visual .NET assembly using VA Smalltalk 8.0? Is this even possible?
(I'm familiar with the OLE-wrapper generator for ActiveX controls, but I'm starting at ground zero regarding .NET components)

* if you have the sources, you could make that assembly COM aware and then you might create calls using the OLE wrapper feature of VA
* if you do not have the sources, you might ask Georg Heeg for its general .NET wrapper stuff, which was initially developed for VW - but they would love to sell it to Instantiations as part of the VA product ..... (I have to admit, that I have never used the .NET wrapper - therefore I do not know the possible features of that product).
* I asked Instantiations several times over the last years about interacting with .NET and they always answer, that there is no real demand/request from their customers. So tell Instantiations about your wishes !!!
* if you do not have the sources, you might write a wrapper .NET assembly to wrap that .NET assembly and make that wrapper COM aware.
* try to write a general wrapper library, doing calls to .NET using introspection

Point 1) and 4) are more work, because in general you will not make all available methods available via COM - but you might perhaps design an interface to that library (by introducing new classes and methods) and make only this interface available via COM.

Just some ideas ....
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0