doit: false on endEdit callback...

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

doit: false on endEdit callback...

Postby sharma.narender » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 pm

If I execute the code "doit: false" in the endEdit callback, I expect that focus/cursor/selection will remain on the current cell being edited. However as per current smalltalk(ver 7.5) behavior, selection reamins on the other cell you just clicked on while the cursor is back at the current cell being edited. Please note that table has XmCELLSINGLESELECT policy.

I think this is a bug.... can someone from Instantiations look into this ?
bug.png
bug.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 669 times

Steps to replicate...
1. Click on the cell containing the value 2.
2. Click on the cell containing the value 1. Now end edit callback for cell having value 2 will get fired and the code is such that if the value is 2 we set "callData doit:false". My expected result is that cursor as well selection should return to cell with value 2, however the selection is still with cell with value 1.
3. Now click on cell with value 4. My expected result is similar to #2 above.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
code.txt
(5.13 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
-- Narender Sharma
Senior Software Engineer
aonhewitt.com
sharma.narender

Re: doit: false on endEdit callback...

Postby tc » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:20 am

Hello,

Thanks for the testcase. I was able to reproduce the problem.

I opened Case #47905 for this issue.

--tc
tc

Postby sharma.narender » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 am

tc wrote:Hello,

--tc

Thanks for looking into the problem. Any timeline for its resolution ?
-- Narender Sharma
Senior Software Engineer
aonhewitt.com
sharma.narender

Postby sharma.narender » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 am

sharma.narender wrote:

--tc

Thanks for looking into the problem. Any timeline for its resolution ?

Thanks for looking into the problem. Any timeline for its resolution ? Would you be able to give response if I send a mail at vast-support@instantiations.com with all the details from this discussion ?
-- Narender Sharma
Senior Software Engineer
aonhewitt.com
sharma.narender

Postby tc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:59 am

Hello,

I do not have a timeline. Another team member took the case and I'm sure she'll post any news she has.

--tc
tc

Postby tc » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Hello,

I looked at this since the other person is busy. At IBM, we used the same technique of checking values in the endEdit callback and I do not recall having this issue but I'm pretty sure we used a different table.

For this table, I noticed the methods are about 14 years old and a rewrite might be hard since everyone's approval is needed and we've not seen this issue come up before.

However, the effect you are looking for is easily achieved as follows:
Code: Select all
endEdit: aWidget clientData: clientData callData: callData

(callData newValue = '2')
      ifTrue: [
         callData doit: false.
         aWidget highlightedCells copy do: [ :aCell | aWidget unhighlightCell: aCell commit: false ].
         ]

. . . this change keeps the focus at the cell with the wrong value and makes sure no other cells are highlighted until the proper value is entered.

--tc
tc

Postby sharma.narender » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:11 am

I looked at this since the other person is busy. At IBM, we used the same technique of checking values in the endEdit callback and I do not recall having this issue but I'm pretty sure we used a different table.

For this table, I noticed the methods are about 14 years old and a rewrite might be hard since everyone's approval is needed and we've not seen this issue come up before.

aWidget highlightedCells copy do: [ :aCell | aWidget unhighlightCell: aCell commit: false ].
         ]

. . . this change keeps the focus at the cell with the wrong value and makes sure no other cells are highlighted until the proper value is entered.

--tc

Hi,
Thanks for replying and suggesting the alternate approach. Our project team deliberately did not take this approach, since unhighlightCell: commit: is a private method... Is it a good practice to call the private methods of the other class in the Smalltalk code, just because of the fact that Smalltalk has not enforced access rules ?

Thanks!
-- Narender Sharma
Senior Software Engineer
aonhewitt.com
sharma.narender

Postby marten » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:59 am

No, it is not a good practice - but all decisions can be justified. And consider the fact, that the image is yours - you are allowed to do anything you want. You may even modify the applications delivered from Instantiations. That is also the strength of Smalltalk.

Of course - changing the application from Instantiations may produce additional support problems - when new releases are coming.

sharma.narender wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for replying and suggesting the alternate approach. Our project team deliberately did not take this approach, since unhighlightCell: commit: is a private method... Is it a good practice to call the private methods of the other class in the Smalltalk code, just because of the fact that Smalltalk has not enforced access rules ?

Thanks!
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby tc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 am

Hello,

That method is 14 years old and it is the only one that can do the job needed. Looking at it, I would not consider it to be low level.

The VA Help guide says:
A popular convention is to make a method public if other parts (or classes) use it, and make it private if only the class that contains it uses it.

. . . that is why it is private.

--tc
tc

Postby a62754 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:10 am

The method has a commit parameter and manipulates the selected items collection based on this parameter. This method is very tightly coupled with the rest of the functionality of this class. Can/should only be used if you have knowledge about the whole workflow. This can put your UI in an invalid state if not used in correct conjuction with the rest of the highlighting/selection functionality. Because of these reasons this method, i feel, should be treated as private and not used publically.
So, till the time you get a fix from VAST, use it only if its necessary.
a62754

Postby sharma.narender » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 am

]

--tc

The code suggested above would leave the UI in invalid state. Per smalltalk a cell being edited is also the selected cell. If i execute the above code it will clear the edit cell from the selected cells list. I have got it working right though.

... This is the reason why we should not use private methods. Since now we have to be responsible for doing everything right, rather than the API.

Thanks everyone...
-- Narender Sharma
Senior Software Engineer
aonhewitt.com
sharma.narender

Postby a62754 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:42 am

TC - your workaround isn't working as expected. Do you have an Instantiations approved workaround till the case is open?
a62754

Postby tc » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Hello,

Try this:
EwTableList>>#verifyCellSelectionProceed
"See if cell selection processing
should continue.  Answer true
if selection can continue, false
if it cannot."

self canCellSelectionProceed ifTrue: [^true].

"Unhighlight any other cells."
   self highlightedCells copy do: [ :aCell | self unhighlightCell: aCell commit: false ].
   self
      cursorCell: self editCell forceFullyVisible: false;
      highlightCell: self editCell commit: false.

self highlightedCells: self selectedCells.
   ^false

. . . an 'approved' change means everyone has signed off on it. One person, who is on vacation, told me she did not think this method of error checking was valid. I feel it is because we used it at IBM but I may have been working in modified base code.

Issues like that will have to be hammered out internally when people are back. Meanwhile, it would help a lot if you can try the above change and post your feedback.

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Postby solveig » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 am

Hello, Mr. Sharma,

Could you please send e-mail to vast-support@instantiations.com? I would like to discuss with you the example you sent and the behavior of the control. Generally when examples are provided, we take discussion off line and post the results. This is what I would like to do in this case. I await your reply on our support line.

Regards,
Solveig
solveig

Postby sharma.narender » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:07 am

Sent mail.

Thanks!

solveig wrote:Hello, Mr. Sharma,

Could you please send e-mail to vast-support@instantiations.com? I would like to discuss with you the example you sent and the behavior of the control. Generally when examples are provided, we take discussion off line and post the results. This is what I would like to do in this case. I await your reply on our support line.

Regards,
Solveig
-- Narender Sharma
Senior Software Engineer
aonhewitt.com
sharma.narender

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0