Table Widget with Power and Flexibility

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Table Widget with Power and Flexibility

Postby nbhatt3 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 am

Hi,

I am looking for creating/using a dynamic Table , which can allow me to control the behaviour of each cell in the table.

It is required to have in the table certain editable and non-editable cells (possibly with a Boolean control ) for the end-user.
Also, the two kinds of cells should be distinguished using the background colors. (grey/white).

Kindly guide me in this respect that how i can go ahead with development of the same in VisualAge ST 7.5 on a simple FORM.

Thanks in advance !
nbhatt3

Re: Table Widget with Power and Flexibility

Postby jtuchel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 am

you are not giving any details whether you use the Composition Editor, WindowBuilder or if you are down at the ExtendedWidgets level by hand-coding (which I guess you are not).

As a first answer: there are solutions for your problems in all three, but none of them are extremely easy and involve some hand-written code. But still the good news is: What you want to do can be done. WidgetKit from Instantiations offers some support for what you need, you should probably take a look at that.

As a side note:
The whole Grid/Container Details/Container Icon Tree stuff in VA Smalltalk is overdue for reengineering for many years now (it has been in the IBM era), and I know Instantiations is well aware of that. But as far as I know there is no concrete announcement of such a new version of the GUI controls. There are, however, announcements on GUI improvements for the next releases, which, to my knowledge, does not include the upcoming 8.0.3 version of VAST.
If VAST 7.5 is a fixed requirement for you, you have the choice of looking into WidgetKit/Controls or learning how to hand-code stuff.
jtuchel
[|]

Postby nbhatt3 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:28 am

Hi Jtuchel,

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a (table)control which will enable be to create (VAST 7.5) dynamic tables, using the
Composition editor to begin with.

I started using EwTableList class and came to know using 'VAST 7.5 - Document server help ' that this class can be used to
add additional functionality.
Columns to be added dynamically in it, on user request.

I think there will be some hand-coding job too in this .

There are some examples to look for such as StsAbbreviationsControlPanel (from class StsToolWindow)
, additional functionality can be added by using the callback methods for each event (i.e by hand-coding).

I had a look at the widgetkit too , it has some examples.

Thanks !
nbhatt3

Postby klaus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:22 am

Hi,

there are some EwExamples, which could hellpful for you.

Load the configuration map "Envy/Image Examples". Then click in the transcript menu "Tools" "Open Example Launcher". Select EwExamples and then EwxTableListExample or/and EwxTableTreeExample.
I hope this helps.

Regards

Klaus
Klaus Breker
Currently working for clearstream (Deutsche Börse Group)
klaus

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0