When a window is clicked which widget gets focus

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

When a window is clicked which widget gets focus

Postby a62754 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:21 am

Hi
If we have a CwForm with widgets on it (CwText) and the cursor is blinking in one of the text boxes, i go to another window and then come back (click on the window) the window somehow knows which widget should have the cursor input when focus returns.
I want to know which api to use to get this information - for an open window that does not have focus, which widget would get the focus if the window is clicked.
I looked at paintDo: (wm_paint) to see how the logic flows - couldn't see where its setting the focus on a particular widget. I also couldn't see any related methods in the widget class or shell class or form class.
Thanks in advanace.
Jaspreet
a62754

Re: When a window is clicked which widget gets focus

Postby a62754 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:31 pm

I have found one possible solution to this problem....
The CwShell class has an OSWidget inside it - the OSShell - in this object there's a variable focusWidget that contains the last focussed widget.
There's no method available to access this object - so i'm reluctant to use this object outside of the class.
but, this is one possible solution.

let me know if someone else finds something else.

thanks
a62754

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0