[8.0.2] MED Refactoring extensions missing Required Map

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

[8.0.2] MED Refactoring extensions missing Required Map

Postby jtuchel » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:42 am

Hi

up to 8.0.1 it was possible to load the whole Refactoring Browser stuff by loading the Map "Mastering Envy/Developer Refactoring Browser extensions" with its required maps.
In 8.0.2 it was overseen to add the map Refactoring Browser V8.0.2 [146] as a required map to the above mentioned map.

Not a big deal and easy to fix yourself, but I thought I'd mention it.

Regards

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Re: [8.0.2] MED Refactoring extensions missing Required Map

Postby wembley » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:36 am

Joachim -

Please use Load/Unload Features ... to load the ST: Refactoring Browser feature. We try not to include required map links in maps not processed by the Image Builder since it is a real pain (and error-prine) to keep them correct.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby jtuchel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:50 pm

John,

thanks for looking into this.

I must admit I haven't used load/unload features for many years. And I thought there's no difference between loading the z.ST... maps and loading a feature since Version 6 or so. Seems I am wrong.

One question remains open in this: Config maps are great for loading a whole bunch of applications into an image and maintain a load order and such for bootstrapping an image. I haven't looked into the implementation of features, but I also guess from a CM perspective, they are not really a good replacement for required maps. Am I right?

So if I want to make my code loadable "forever" meaning for as long as I keep all my old stuff in a library, I guess feature loading is not what I am looking for... ?

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby koschate » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I was under the same impression as Joachim regarding loading the z.XX maps. If they're not the answer, then what is the programmatic equivalent of loading features? This needs to be documented so we can automate the creation of development images with the appropriate features pre-loaded.
koschate
[|]

Postby jtuchel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:55 pm

John,

any news on whether you consider documenting the use of load/feature programmatically together with some help on when to use config maps and when to use load feature? Since config maps are the main mechanics of most config management approaches I've seen in VAST, and since it seems some problems cannot be solved by using them, we're in need of some help for those special cases...

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0