[8.02] Installation Manager under Windows ..

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

[8.02] Installation Manager under Windows ..

Postby marten » Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 am

I installed the manager code for 8.02 under two machines - my home machine (without 8.02 beta) does an import without problems, my netbook (with 8.02 beta) does not allow to import the new code. All stuff is grayed out (and I hope I used the correct va802_mw.zip file). Any ideas ?
Attachments
problems-installation-xp.png
problems-installation-xp.png (23.57 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: [8.02] Installation Manager under Windows ..

Postby wembley » Fri May 28, 2010 8:05 am

Marten -

If a previous version of 8.0.2 (like a development build) is installed, this is the behavior of the Installer. You need to do an Uninstall of the V8.0.2 Manager before trying to do an Install. If you have deleted the directories already (so that Uninstall fails), you will need to delete the registry key (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\8.0\manager) that identifies that the manager is installed.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby marten » Fri May 28, 2010 10:11 pm

wembley wrote:Marten -

If a previous version of 8.0.2 (like a development build) is installed, this is the behavior of the Installer. You need to do an Uninstall of the V8.0.2 Manager before trying to do an Install. If you have deleted the directories already (so that Uninstall fails), you will need to delete the registry key (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\8.0\manager) that identifies that the manager is installed.

That means, that I have to import the stuff manually, right - via the importer tool .... because I mainly have an accumulated repository (with 6.01/6.02/7.52 and 8.0 versions imported).
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Sat May 29, 2010 9:29 am

Marten -

Yes, that's sort of what I do with our builds. I do the Manager Install so I have a clean mgr80.dat (for one kind of testing) and then I import it into my development manager (which goes back pretty far).
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0