ODBC HY104 Error

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

ODBC HY104 Error

Postby prakash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:49 am

When I connect my Application with msaccess it is Showing error mention below
.i am not able to debug that problem .when i saw in envy then SQL query is created
but sqlStatement variable have nil value;
is it a problem of odbc driver as I an=m using access 2007

AbtError: rc=-1 for 'HY104' in an AbtOdbc30DatabaseConnection at (4/15/2010 4:13:44 PM) '[SQLSTATE=HY104 - [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Invalid precision value [Native Error=98]]'
prakash

Re: ODBC HY104 Error

Postby PhotonDemon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 am

Hi prakash,

I use MS/SQL via ODBC and had to modify VA Smalltalk to overcome what I think is are similar errors. One change was to send zero after a decimal number that had no fraction or just send the integer part (eg. nnn.0 instead of nnn. or nnn). Another change was to set the default precision of timestamps to 23 and not 26. MS/SQL is too stupid to ignore the extra micro second information. I think there is an MS/SQL setting to control this but I couldn't get it to stay one for all calls and it is inconsistent across versions.

I can give you the code changes if we are talking about the same problem.

Lou

P.S. Note to VA Smalltalk developers, I would love it if you would take on these changes and relieve me from having to make them in each new version of VA Smalltalk.
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby prakash » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:19 am

Hi PhotonDemon

thanks for reply .I have tried sending 0 after decimal it won't work
and i haven't see there is flexibility to changing timestamps.and find no solution to solve that problem.
i thinking to switch to MySql.
can you give suggestion to mysql vesrion compatible to VA.and needed changes.

To VA Developer Community: as VA is Not open Source ,although its IDE VA comes for trial
it is still difficult to find simple project .so how one can Learn smalltalk own self. please put some light on that issue.
i desperately want to learn smalltalk.

thanks
prakash

Postby PhotonDemon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 am

Hi prakash,

I have tried sending 0 after decimal it won't work and i haven't see there is flexibility to changing timestamps.and find no solution to solve that problem.

See my latest post: "Database fixes for ODBC/MS/SQL". I think the first change (to the VS Smalltalk code) fixes your problem.

i thinking to switch to MySql. can you give suggestion to mysql vesrion compatible to VA.and needed changes.

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with MySql. But I expect that using it through ODBC work the same as your code for MS/SQL.

To VA Developer Community: as VA is Not open Source ,although its IDE VA comes for trial it is still difficult to find simple project .so how one can Learn smalltalk own self. please put some light on that issue. i desperately want to learn smalltalk.

I of course love VA Smalltalk but I take your point about it being hard to get started with Smalltalk. I suggest you check out Squeak at: http://www.squeak.org/ and their new group at: gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.beginners. Squeak if free and open source and there are many Squeakers willing to help you get started.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby marten » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:01 am

prakash wrote: To VA Developer Community: as VA is Not open Source ,although its IDE VA comes for trial
it is still difficult to find simple project .so how one can Learn smalltalk own self. please put some light on that issue.
i desperately want to learn smalltalk.

thanks

I always would recommend to read "Getting Started" (should be available as pdf ...) and "Programmer's Guide to Building Parts for Fun and Profit". It gives a general idea, how the Parts-oriented programming was thought to work. The last one seems to be pretty gone - I was not able to find it anywhere on the net
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Marten -

Yes, I also think Building Parts for Fun and Profit was pretty good, but perhaps that was because I originally wrote it. It was last published with VAST 4.5, so is a little out of date. IBM decided that the Getting Started book was sufficient, but perhaps we (Instantiations) should reconsider that decision. I have a little first hand knowledge of the issues of first introducing the product as I am currently doing just that to (or for) 8 university students who have worked a little with Squeak, but have never seen VA Smalltalk before this week.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby marten » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 pm

wembley wrote:Marten -

Yes, I also think Building Parts for Fun and Profit was pretty good, but perhaps that was because I originally wrote it.

Very good work - really a master piece, John ! But it's not that out of date - but perhaps the OS/2 (what's that ?) screenshots will not attract younger people . And yes - Instantiations should publish this book again - and please: not as eBook, but layouted as printable book. After switching from WindowBuilder to the Parts-technology I read this book so many times when driving via train to my office and even today I sit in my sofa and just read it again and again from time to time. Perhaps a German translation would be nice :-)))))))))
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0