Widget Kit Business Graphics - does it need write access?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Widget Kit Business Graphics - does it need write access?

Postby jackiezachman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:10 am

We are using the Widget Kit Business Graphics in my application. For security reasons, we have disabled write access to our application folder in the Program Files directory. When we run our application while logged in as an administrator user with administrator privileges, we are able to succesfully use the business graphics charts. When we run our application as a simple user without admin privileges, we receive a walkback when attempting to initialize a chart. If I grant write access to our bin folder where our application runs, this user is able to successfully access the charts. However, this is only a temporary solution. I need a solution that doesn't require giving write access or running our application as an admin user.

Why does the WKBG require write access? Does it attempt to write a file or folder to the current working directory when making call outs to the PG32.dll? I cannot see any files being created or updated when stepping through the code.

Walkback is attached.
Attachments
ReServeDBTEST2WC159005.log
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
jackiezachman

Re: Widget Kit Business Graphics - does it need write access?

Postby Ralf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:00 am

This is the problem with default.tdc. This file must be found in the actual directory or you must have write rights. The Widget Kit Business Graphics will create this file if it can't found default.tdc. Is a temporary file if not exists.
Put this file in your actual directory an it will work.
Ralf

Postby marten » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 am

Ralf wrote:This is the problem with default.tdc. This file must be found in the actual directory or you must have write rights. The Widget Kit Business Graphics will create this file if it can't found default.tdc. Is a temporary file if not exists.
Put this file in your actual directory an it will work.

Then it will not work under Vista and Windows 7 - with default access rights, with installing your application using the usual installers - right ?
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby Ralf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:56 am

This is possible. If you install your program, I think you have the problem.

But, I have only Win XP and the tests on vista are rudimentary. And I use version 7.5, it is possible the behavior in version 8 has changed. I have open a thread a few month (or years? hmm:) ago with the same problem.

And it is only a problem without the file default.tdc and without write access. If wkbg found this file then you not need write access. The file is delivered with wkbg.

Ui ui, my english is so bad, i hope, you can unterstand me.:)
Ralf

Postby jackiezachman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:21 pm

Thank you so much. I installed the default.tdc file in my application folder and no longer have the problem. Thanks for the solution!
jackiezachman

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0