Vista compatibility

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Vista compatibility

Postby ghoshajayaghosh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:09 am

I am currently using VisualAge ver.6.0 for my application.
I want to make my application work on Windows-Vista.
Does that require me to first migrate my application to a higher version of VisualAge (or VAST)?

What could be the disadvantages of remaining on the lower version?
Regards
Ajaya Ghosh AS
ghoshajayaghosh

Re: Vista compatibility

Postby marten » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:23 am

ghoshajayaghosh wrote:I am currently using VisualAge ver.6.0 for my application.
I want to make my application work on Windows-Vista.
Does that require me to first migrate my application to a higher version of VisualAge (or VAST)?

What could be the disadvantages of remaining on the lower version?

VA 6.0 is not supported under newer operating systems, though it may work there. Therefore you may ask yourself: can I go with an unsupported version, because my apps are still working using VA 6.0 under Vista.

I would expect the migration to be pretty painless - assuming, that no system application has been changed by you ...
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby ghoshajayaghosh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:50 am

Hi marten,

thanks for your reply.

I would like to have some information about.. which all things i need to take care while migrating my app to vista.
As you said version migration is not that painful, but what i am thinking about mainly is that the interaction with the file-system.
The directories which my application mainly interacts are:
1) "Program Files", it reads as well as write data from this area
2) "WINDIR", it tried to read a file.
3) Public folder, which it keeps the cache (seems this part is OK) .
4) WIN API calls through OScall class.

when i tried to track the application through the Application verifier tool, i found that file reading/writing as above described fails with some permission errors.

How could i make changes, so that it works on vista too...any links to this area would be appreciable.
Regards
Ajaya Ghosh AS
ghoshajayaghosh

Postby marten » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:28 am

ghoshajayaghosh wrote:Hi marten,

thanks for your reply.

I would like to have some information about.. which all things i need to take care while migrating my app to vista.
As you said version migration is not that painful, but what i am thinking about mainly is that the interaction with the file-system.
The directories which my application mainly interacts are:
1) "Program Files", it reads as well as write data from this area
2) "WINDIR", it tried to read a file.
3) Public folder, which it keeps the cache (seems this part is OK) .
4) WIN API calls through OScall class.

when i tried to track the application through the Application verifier tool, i found that file reading/writing as above described fails with some permission errors.

How could i make changes, so that it works on vista too...any links to this area would be appreciable.

Yes, but this is a general problem about how to program under Windows:

- never ever doing programming as administrator
- never ever write to "program files" subdirectories - this is also the reason, why there is a readme about the installation process and usage under Vista dn/or W7. There are special system directories, which have to be used by the application to store their app data.
- well API calls can be made, but of course there are API calls, which needs special security privileges - without them they might fail - but this nothing else like point 1).

I am not aware of any Vista-W7 specials. They all belong to general Windows programming style guide.

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0