[B128] EmUser>>currentID bug due to EmRecord>>parameterAt:

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

[B128] EmUser>>currentID bug due to EmRecord>>parameterAt:

Postby jtuchel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:49 am

Hi there,

I just did a little update on some of our older code which helps manage envy code ownership (a tool once called EnvyHelper). I found a few things that are probably worth noting. First, EmUser class>>original has gone, as well as the class variable OriginalUser. It seems there is no replacement for that. The solution to this was easy: I deleted the respective functionality from my tool ;-)

By accident I saw that EmUser>>currentID doesn't compile any more because EmRecord class>>parameterAt: is not in the image. I don't have B130 installed on this machine, so I can't tell whether this is fixed already. I guess it must be since currentID is used in many places... Cany anybody having B130 at hand take a look?

cu

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Re: [B128] EmUser>>currentID bug due to EmRecord>>parameterAt:

Postby wembley » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:08 am

Joachim -

jtuchel wrote:First, EmUser class>>original has gone, as well as the class variable OriginalUser. It seems there is no replacement for that. The solution to this was easy: I deleted the respective functionality from my tool ;-)

EmUser has never had a class variable OriginalUser. I've looked as far back as V3.0a and in all the various internal versions.

jtuchel wrote:By accident I saw that EmUser>>currentID doesn't compile any more because EmRecord class>>parameterAt: is not in the image. I don't have B130 installed on this machine, so I can't tell whether this is fixed already. I guess it must be since currentID is used in many places... Cany anybody having B130 at hand take a look?

The send of EmRecord class>>parameterAt: is guarded by EmLibrary>>isGateway which should always answer false and so parameterAt: is never sent. This method has not been changed since sometime before V5.5 (the earliesat code I have for EMUser in my manager).
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Re: [B128] EmUser>>currentID bug due to EmRecord>>parameterAt:

Postby jtuchel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:12 am

John,

... thanks for checking.
On third look, it is a specific extension made way back in time (I guess in Version 3.0 or 4.0).
It's purpose had been to save the user somebody switched from, in order to allow him/her to switch back to the orginal user.
So it's our own failure to carry this extension through the storm of time passing by. But I just decided to let it rest in peace.

It's always good to have somebody understand one's code ;-)

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0