Using VM as envy repository server

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Using VM as envy repository server

Postby weijietang » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:29 am

We are using VAST 7.0. Our repository server used to be a physical windows 2003 server, and our desktop IDE runs on either VM desktop or physical desktop. All worked well until we migrated the repository server from a physical server to a VM.

Those physical client desktops still works OK, however, the VM client desktop got intermittent connection issues. After say 1 or 2 hours, it will disconnect from the server and developer had to restart VAST.

I wonder if anyone here has any experience on how VAST works on VM

Thanks
weijietang

Re: Using VM as envy repository server

Postby koschate » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:21 am

Our repository server has been running in a Linux VM with no problems for many months. We also have a Windows XP VM that does our daily builds and tests that connects to that repository, and has been doing so for the same amount of time.
koschate
[|]

Postby wembley » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:09 am

My ENVY repository is on a 'real' machine, but all my client images are on VMware images on the same machine. All my VMware images are using NAT (share the host's IP address) for their network connections. I do experience dropped connections in VMware (which results in Smalltalk client repository access errors) a couple times a day. Up to now it hasn't happened enough for me to dig into the VMware logs to try to figure out why it is cycling the connections -- I just use the Transcript's Tools -> System -> Reconnect to Server... menu item to get back to where I was.

Things for you to look at:

- the vmware.log file for both client and server VMware images to see if VMware is having a problem
- the emsrv.log file on the server running emsrv to see what emsrv thinks is happening
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby weijietang » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:20 am

Thank you. I will check the the log
weijietang

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0