VA Smalltalk V8 enhanced browser question

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA Smalltalk V8 enhanced browser question

Postby PhotonDemon » Mon May 25, 2009 8:08 am

Hi All,

At least I think this is an enhanced browser question. When researching some code I often will use the Transcript>Tools>Browse Implementors... menu option. If I enter something like "accept:" an "Implementors of #accept:" browser window will open. So far so good, if I then want to see more about one of the classes that implement #accept:, I right click on a class (say #WAComponent) and choose "Open" and "Class" from the pop up menus. A browser window opens on the class. If I select "Instance Methods" from the drop down in the top-center of the window, I can see the methods of the class. If I move up the class tree to the #WAPainter class, no methods are shown as none are defined in the app that #WAComponent is defined in.

That is true but quite inconvenient. If I use the Transcript>Tools>Browse Class... menu option and enter #WAComponent, I can see all the methods reguardless of which app they are defined in. This is the behavor I would like when using the menu items off of a right click. Is there some option I should be setting differently or something I should be doing differently?

Thanks,

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Re: VA Smalltalk V8 enhanced browser question

Postby tc » Tue May 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Hello,

At first, I did not understand your post but then realized that you are using trailblazer.

Is there a reason why you are using trailblazer rather than the standard browsers?

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Postby PhotonDemon » Wed May 27, 2009 5:37 am

Hi tc,

Hello,
At first, I did not understand your post but then realized that you are using trailblazer.

Is there a reason why you are using trailblazer rather than the standard browsers?

Thanks.
--tc

None that I can think of. I have used trailblazer since before VAST 5.5.2 (which for some stuff I am still using). If I remember correctly it was better than the standard browsers. Anyway, should I take a new look at the standard browsers?

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby tc » Wed May 27, 2009 7:45 am

I have used trailblazer since before VAST 5.5.2 (which for some stuff I am still using)

What OS do you develop on?

--tc
tc

Postby PhotonDemon » Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am

What OS do you develop on?

Windows 2000
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby tc » Thu May 28, 2009 7:52 am

If you are on Win 2000 then yes, I definitely recommend one of the other browsers. TB can be turned off by deselecting the 'use enhanced browsers' option in the Tools menu of the Transcript.

I personally found it difficult to get TB to act like and be a class browser and I've never seen anyone in the various projects I've worked on that used TB consistently.

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0