VAST 8 - Linux and all the old problems ...

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VAST 8 - Linux and all the old problems ...

Postby marten » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:42 am

Ok, now we start finding all the old problems again (now it would be nice to have all that open bug list):

- VA 8 can still not be installed under Ubuntu 8.10/32 (due to missing csh .....)
- VA 8 can still not handle all these problems with X-server and code pages and all that stuff ...

More or less seems for me, that all old VA 7.5.2 errors are still there ... nothing seems to be improved
here ... if you have problems with Ubuntu read all those several years old error messages and
apply the fixes again .... :-((

I just did a fresh installation of 8.10 and VA8.00 (under VirtualBox) and as a summary:

- keyboard is not working at all -you can not type any text
- using the wheel on my mouse results into a walkback
- refresh of VA GUI is so bad, that I had to disable the VAAssist subsystem. Otherwise the
repainting of the toolbar can be seen in slow-motion ...
- redraw problems (horizontal black lines) are still there (which were introduced with 8.0 Beta1)

Sorry to say, but this is a mess - actually I did not recognize all these errors, because
I did my first tests under my already fixed Ubuntu 8.10/AMD system.

I think, that nobody has tested this .... and just release the code somehow ....

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: VAST 8 - Linux and all the old problems ...

Postby TriSebastian » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 am

Hi Marten,

I'm running into the same keyboard text input issue unter CentOS5.

Is there any workaround or fix available?

Cheers!
Sebastian
TriSebastian

Re: VAST 8 - Linux and all the old problems ...

Postby marten » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:01 am

TriSebastian wrote:Hi Marten,

I'm running into the same keyboard text input issue unter CentOS5.

Is there any workaround or fix available?

Cheers!
Sebastian

I've have not heard anything ... I still think, that first most of these workarounds must be applied to your Linux system ... actually "normal" users will never be able to patch their system just to make VASmalltalk based applications run ...
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

[SOLVED]

Postby TriSebastian » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks John!

Well better read the documentation! ;-)
Found it!

Here's the solution for the keyinput issue from the "installation guide":

On Linux, the X-Windows directory structure may need to be corrected.
VA Smalltalk expects to have its X-lib files in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 directory structure.
Most newer Linux distributions place their X-lib files under /usr/share/X11. In this case, VA Smalltalk will not be able to find the X-lib files. Linking the structure VA Smalltalk expects to the one actually shipped will make the X-lib files available to VA Smalltalk. The following commands must be issued with super user privileges.
1. Determine if the path /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 exists; if not, use the mkdir command to create the full path.

2. Determine if the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB file exists; if not, create a symbolic link using the following commands:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB At this point you will be able to enter characters. Characters common across many (European) languages will properly display even if you are using a UTF-8 locale. However, characters with keysym (ASCII) values over 127, such as the copyright (©) character, will not display correctly under the UTF-8 locale.

Cheers!
Sebastian
TriSebastian

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0