Odd ENVY/Smalltalk Debugger display

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Odd ENVY/Smalltalk Debugger display

Postby PhotonDemon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:56 am

Hi,

I'm getting an odd painting of the ENVY/Smalltalk Debugger window of the V8 Beta1. See attached. The trace portion of the display only shows half of each line of the trace. If I click on a line the rest of the line is displayed. So, the data is there and I can make due but it is very annoying.

I don't know if this is a bug or if there is some setting I need to change? I am jumping from VAST 5.5.2 to V8, so there is a lot in V8 that I am not familiar with. I do have the forts set to a larger value. When I force a debugger to open with bad code in the Transcript window the problem doesn't occur.

Lou
Attachments
ENVYSmalltalkDebugger.gif
ENVYSmalltalkDebugger.gif (21.24 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Re: Odd ENVY/Smalltalk Debugger display

Postby jtuchel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:11 am

Lou,

I remember seeing that quite frequently, even in Version 6 and maybe earlier, but due to the fact that we're mostly working on a TerminalServer I didn't pay much attention because there are redraw problems of all kinds from time to time...

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby Ralf » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:20 am

maximize or resize, hmm, the window and you can see all lines, at least in version 7.5.
Ralf

Postby PhotonDemon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the reply. Maximizing or resizing fixes the display.

BTW, clicking on a line does NOT fix anything but moving the mouse over a line temporarily displays it.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby wembley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks for the detailed information and workaround. We have a case already open on this one -- 38844 -- that is being worked.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby Michael Keppler » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:16 am

I've seen the same many times on 7.5. In all cases there was another window, which did not update because of some long running operation, thereby causing the "empty" space in the middle of the debugger window. The most common use case for me is running some thousand unit tests together, where the unit test browser does not refresh and therefore makes a non updated region in front of the debugger (or other windows).
Michael Keppler

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0