[VAStGoodie] Interactive Compiler

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

[VAStGoodie] Interactive Compiler

Postby ernest.micklei » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:29 am

Hi,

I submitted a new goodie to http://vastgoodies.com that provides you with an interactive compiler error handler similar to that within the VisualWorks IDE.
More info on http://philemonworks.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/interactive-compilation-for-visualage-for-smalltalk/.

Hope you like it.

^Ernest
ernest.micklei

Re: [VAStGoodie] Interactive Compiler

Postby tc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 am

Hello,

I do remember in VW when accepting a method, for example, one might get a dialog that says, 'temp1 variable undeclared, declare it?', and it inserts the variable declaration in the method.

Is that what the interactive compiler does, if so, that is pretty cool.

--tc
tc

Postby wembley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:22 am

Ernest -

Thanks for adding this to VAStGoodies. Squeak has some similar capability which I find very nice when I'm working there -- nice enough to have put it on the never-ending list of "Let's do something like this in the next release" for VA Smalltalk.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby koschate » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:57 pm

It's great that folks are making valuable stuff like this available! Could I just ask that potential contributors strip out user information and make sure that the code is owned/developed by Library Supervisor? It's really no fun explaining to people who all these strange new developers are that have suddenly shown up in the repository!
koschate
[|]

Postby a3aan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:41 am

Hi Tom,

Currently this information (EmUser) is used by VAStGoodies.com to organize the web site. The whole idea of VAStGoodies.com is to stick to the ENVY model as much as possible. Personally I'm used to have perhaps a few dozens of developers, including strangers ;-), in the libraries without any problems. But then, my name is usually on top :).

I can see your point though. You can always strip the existing owners/developers yourself, of course. But VAStGoodies.com should be community driven, so if there is a broader demand we may consider how we can do things differently.

Cheers,
Adriaan.

koschate wrote:It's great that folks are making valuable stuff like this available! Could I just ask that potential contributors strip out user information and make sure that the code is owned/developed by Library Supervisor? It's really no fun explaining to people who all these strange new developers are that have suddenly shown up in the repository!
Adriaan van Os
a3aan
[|]

Postby tc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:08 am

Hello,

When exporting, in the exporting options, all users can be mapped to library supervisor.

--tc
tc

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0