Evaluation copy prompter invoking for a deployed application

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Evaluation copy prompter invoking for a deployed application

Postby DEBRO » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:14 am

Hi there,

I sent this to support but haven't heard anything so I thought I'd post it here. I'm sure someone else has seen this problem. Maybe one of you can help me solve it.

We’ve deployed our application written in VASmalltalk7.5.2 and the license to a client. The license file is in the target directory (i.e. \\<some_computer_name>\target_dir) and the start in directory is the same. When they try to execute the app using the shortcut they are getting the evaluation copy message prompter. When the same app is executed on the actual machine (i.e. no shortcut) they do not get the message prompter.

We have a similar set up in our dev shop for our QA team and they can execute the app without the evaluation prompt. The only differences I can see is the client is using Novell where we aren’t.

Is there away for us to stop the evaluation message from popping up for the client?
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Re: Evaluation copy prompter invoking for a deployed application

Postby tc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 am

Hello,

I apologize if your request was not answered.

On the issue of the evaluation prompter, place abtprc*.dll in the same directory as abtpay*.dll.

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Postby DEBRO » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:28 am

Hi there,
tc wrote:On the issue of the evaluation prompter, place abtprc*.dll in the same directory as abtpay*.dll.

It is in the same directory.

The issue we are experiencing is if someone runs the application directly from the server then they don't see this prompter. However when the client executes the app using Novell, then the evaluation copy prompt comes up.
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Postby tc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 am

Hello,

What does it mean exactly to run it using Novell? The computer is connected to the network and the user is running it from a network drive or ?

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Postby DEBRO » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:36 am

Hi there,
tc wrote:What does it mean exactly to run it using Novell? The computer is connected to the network and the user is running it from a network drive or ?

It's been a while since I've seen Novell so I've asked the client to explain how they are using it. The reason I say they are using Novell is because when I look at the properties of the DLL from the machine having the issue I can see a Novell tab. I'll post again once I hear back from them.
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Postby DEBRO » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi there,
tc wrote:What does it mean exactly to run it using Novell? The computer is connected to the network and the user is running it from a network drive or ?

I'm going to try to explain based on what I was told :)

They are logging into a workstation which uses Novell. They told me that this is basically their file server. From this workstation they invoke our shortcut to the application. They are also reporting that when user A logs into user B's workstation, user A does not see the prompt. But when user B logs into user B's workstation then they do see the prompt.

My instinct wants to tell me that it's a permission issue but user B is able to continue using the application. If it were a permission issue then it would seem that none of the dlls or exes would work correctly.
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Postby DEBRO » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:45 am

Hi there,

Any help on this one? I really would like to stop that prompter on our client's machine.
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Postby DEBRO » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:02 am

Hi there,

I really need to get this rectified. Did I supply enough information?
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Postby marten » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:11 am

I think, that you did not give well detailled informations. Actually to get more information you should at least find out, whhat Novell File Server version your client are running, which Novell Client software on which client operating system ... and did you consider various long filename problems, which can be found when searching ... how long are the paths and so on ... detailled information !

Did you try the Novell user boards to ask your question ????

And no, I've no knowledge about Novell ....

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby tc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 am

Hello,

I'm still not sure what it means to log into Novell. After one logs in, they have a network drive accessible or does it mean something else?

On which computer does the shortcut actually reside? or is there more than one shortcut that each person is using?

--tc
tc

Postby daswartz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:19 pm

DEBRO wrote:We’ve deployed our application written in VASmalltalk7.5.2 and the license to a client. The license file is in the target directory (i.e. \\<some_computer_name>\target_dir) and the start in directory is the same. When they try to execute the app using the shortcut they are getting the evaluation copy message prompter. When the same app is executed on the actual machine (i.e. no shortcut) they do not get the message prompter.

Is your client is truly using the form \\<some_computer_name>\target_dir\executable.exe to invoke the application? If so you might have them map a drive letter to \\<some_computer_name>\target_dir or to \\<some_computer_name>\, and invoke using the drive letter. I don't have a rational reason why using a mapped drive would work better than the machine name form, but it might be worth a try.
daswartz

Postby DEBRO » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:50 am

Hi there,

I haven't looked here for a response in a while. Thank you all for your suggestions. I've sent them to the client to see what they have to say.

I hate that they have thrown Novell into the mix here. I'm just don't know how Novell works because it's been so long. Plus the client doesn't communicate their setup very well :(
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0