VA Smalltalk Goodies site announced

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA Smalltalk Goodies site announced

Postby wembley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:13 am

Adriaan van Os has announced VAStGoodies, a SqueakSource clone for VA Smalltalk using Envy as a backend. VAStGoodies is currently running on VA Smalltalk V8 Beta1. It is built on top of Seaside 2.9 Alpha 1 and it extensively uses the new JQuery Seaside integration (not part of V8 Beta1).

Adriaan van Os writes:
Just to stress the level of productivity you can achieve when using Smalltalk, it took me about 25 hours to put the whole thing together. And that includes a quick and dirty port of the missing pieces in Beta 1 that deal with file uploading. Did I tell you that this is the first (real) Seaside application that I ever wrote?
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Re: VA Smalltalk Goodies site announced

Postby marten » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:21 am

That's good news and a good start for 2009 and the community ... any ideas where to send questions - because it does not seem to work ?
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby a3aan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am

Hi Marten,

What doesn't work for you?

For uploads, for now, files must be smaller then 10Mb and should be named <filename>.dat. Only config maps are read at the moment.

Here, or a3aan at xs4all dot nl, would be fine for questions, remarks, suggestions, discussions, etc.

Cheers,
Adriaan.
Last edited by a3aan on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriaan van Os
a3aan
[|]

Postby marten » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 am

My initial test was from Mozilla under Ubuntu - but I only got a page with "ENTER" and that was it. Pressing the button - but then nothing happened.

Now I've just tested it with Mozilla under Windows XP and I can see now the application ....

I see three entires (Cloudfork, SpsPdfLib and SpsPdfLibDevelopment). Selecting any of these entries - nothing happened. Pressing on any menu entry - nothing happened. Javascript, Java and all that stuff is enabled on my machine. (all using Mozilla 3.x).

IE6 is telling me about some errors on these pages.

I also did an upload - the package is viewable.

Thanks for your work ... I'm really waiting for a repository like this and I will upload all my stuff into your repository. Did you consider to support zipped uploads ?
marten
[|]

Postby louis_andriese » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:07 am

Marten,

the challenges of going live with a beta.... ;-)
I've restarted the seaside instance, it seems to be working again.
I've browsed your code in the envy-repository, is has arrived in healthy state.

Kind regards,

Louis
louis_andriese

Postby marten » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 am

louis_andriese wrote:Marten,

the challenges of going live with a beta.... ;-)
I've restarted the seaside instance, it seems to be working again.
I've browsed your code in the envy-repository, is has arrived in healthy state.

Kind regards,

Louis

I've upload some stuff - with dependencies - just to see, how it works and what is shown in the windows.
marten
[|]

Postby a3aan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:07 pm

marten wrote:My initial test was from Mozilla under Ubuntu - but I only got a page with "ENTER" and that was it. Pressing the button - but then nothing happened.
Thanks for your work ... I'm really waiting for a repository like this and I will upload all my stuff into your repository. Did you consider to support zipped uploads ?

Marten, I'm glad you like it. Does everything work now? All links should respond.

I've thought of zipped uploads but it is not high on my priority list. It could certainly be added when uploading turns out to be to slow.

Cheers,
Adriaan.
Adriaan van Os
a3aan
[|]

Postby marten » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:55 pm

a3aan wrote:
Marten, I'm glad you like it. Does everything work now? All links should respond.

Actually, nothing is working (Mozilla 3.x and IE 6) - except for uploading a file :?

The only list filled is the "Configuration Map Names" on the left side - clicking on any stuff shows no reaction. The IE6 shows me a small message about an "error on page" ("Fehler auf der Seite").

A nice idea would be, that a download would be possible with ALL prerequisites (of the selected item) included ... and then of course an add-in for VA .... have you thought about that ?
marten
[|]

Postby a3aan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:01 am

marten wrote:The only list filled is the "Configuration Map Names" on the left side - clicking on any stuff shows no reaction. The IE6 shows me a small message about an "error on page" ("Fehler auf der Seite").

Odd, IE6 and IE7 work here. Could it be a proxy or firewall issue? Have you tried different internet connections?

marten wrote:A nice idea would be, that a download would be possible with ALL prerequisites (of the selected item) included ... and then of course an add-in for VA .... have you thought about that ?

Not exporting prereq maps is a matter of not wanting to redistribute non open source software. An add-on for VA is on the list, but development hasn't started yet.

Adriaan.
Adriaan van Os
a3aan
[|]

Postby marten » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:29 am

a3aan wrote:Odd, IE6 and IE7 work here. Could it be a proxy or firewall issue? Have you tried different internet connections?

Proxy ? Well, my access to Internet is done via UMTS - but I've never seen problems regarding this. Also a
firewall is active. I'll try tomorrow from my office in Hamburg via DSL.

Marten
marten
[|]

no www

Postby a3aan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:49 am

Marten, could it be that you use http://www.vastgoodies.com/envy? Currrently only vastgoodies.com(/envy) works.
Adriaan van Os
a3aan
[|]

Re: no www

Postby marten » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 am

a3aan wrote:Marten, could it be that you use http://www.vastgoodies.com/envy? Currrently only vastgoodies.com(/envy) works.

Both addresses delivers the same stuff.

www.vastgoodies.com/envy
or
vastgoodies.com/envy
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 am

marten wrote:
a3aan wrote:Odd, IE6 and IE7 work here. Could it be a proxy or firewall issue? Have you tried different internet connections?

Proxy ? Well, my access to Internet is done via UMTS - but I've never seen problems regarding this. Also a
firewall is active. I'll try tomorrow from my office in Hamburg via DSL.

Marten

Guess what - it works from my office (using Mozilla 3.05 and IE7) with active firewall and DSL connection. It will be interesting to see, where my local problem is .... UMTS is going via provider proxies, but how can this change the behaviour of the WWW application.

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:55 am

marten wrote:
Guess what - it works from my office (using Mozilla 3.05 and IE7) with active firewall and DSL connection. It will be interesting to see, where my local problem is .... UMTS is going via provider proxies, but how can this change the behaviour of the WWW application.

Marten

This evening it's working at home also ... strange WWW world ...

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby tc » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:41 am

Hello,

I checked out the website. Very nicely done!

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Next

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0