Smalltalk and HP-UX11iv2

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Smalltalk and HP-UX11iv2

Postby Ralf » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:17 am

Hello,

I can remember me, the old Smalltalk versions can be installed at HP UX. In the new system requirements (http://www2.instantiations.com/VAST/Sys ... ents70.htm) is HP UX not listed. Now, we have a costumer with HP UX and it would be nice, when we can say that is not a problem for us to run on HP UX.:)

In fact, the question is, there are a chance to run on HP UX with Smalltalk 7.5?

Thanks for answers and

best Regards

Ralf
Ralf

Re: Smalltalk and HP-UX11iv2

Postby marten » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:34 am

Ralf wrote:I can remember me, the old Smalltalk versions can be installed at HP UX.

HP-UX and OS/2 are the platforms, which disappeared from the list of supported platforms (OS/2 at level 6.0.2, HPUX at 7.0) - perhaps it would be possible for Instantiations to offer the latest state of these platforms and offer them only as unsupported platforms ?

On the other hand even with the 7.5.2 code it is pretty possible to have this code run under OS/2 - just import all changes from 6.02 to 7.5.2 into a running OS/2 image and most of the stuff is running. ONE problem (in the case of OS/2) is there with TCP/IP: due to the introduction of the SSL support this feature produces problems. But even on OS/2 the needed DLLs are available and perhaps its not that difficult to port to OS/2.

Under HP-UX it may be even easier to get it up and running, because it was still supported at 6.0.3/4.

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby Ralf » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:15 am

Hello Marten,

thanks for the info.

marten wrote:HP-UX and OS/2 are the platforms, which disappeared from the list of supported platforms (OS/2 at level 6.0.2, HPUX at 7.0) - perhaps it would be possible for Instantiations to offer the latest state of these platforms and offer them only as unsupported platforms ?

it would be nice:)

marten wrote:Under HP-UX it may be even easier to get it up and running, because it was still supported at 6.0.3/4.

I think, thats worth to test it.

Best regards

Ralf
Ralf

Postby wembley » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:34 am

Support for HPUX was last built/tested in VisualAge Smalltalk 6.0.3. We have done nothing to the product since then that should cause a VA Smalltalk 7.5 image to fail when running on a VAST 6.0.3 HPUX VM, but this configuration is not supported. Over time this situation may change (for example, if VM changes are made, they will not be reflected into the HPUX VM and therefore images which depend on those changes would fail).

We are in a position to reinstate support for HPUX if (and only if) there is sufficient interest (as measured by customers willing to participate financially) in doing so. To this point, that interest is not visible.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0