Frustration with packager warnings and errors

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Frustration with packager warnings and errors

Postby jgfoster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:10 pm

The runtime packager contains a step that identifies warnings and errors. This list typically contains thousands of lines, almost all of which are related to problems in the base image (or vendor-supplied add-ons such as WindowBuilderPro). This makes the tool essentially useless as a way to find actual problems in an application. Does anyone find this tool useful, and if so, how do you deal with the overwhelming number of pre-existing problems?

To make matters worse, if there are unmanaged globals or pool dictionaries, then the display gets a walkback when trying to display the list. Since each the list is redisplayed each time the window is brought to the front (taking several seconds), a new walkback is reported. This makes the window essentially useless since it is impossible to go to the next step.

After spending several hours digging through the various unmanaged things, I've worked it down to two: (1) SampleNLSPoolDictionary (which seems to come from WbNLSExample), and (2) AbtFeatureLoadGrp (I don't know where it comes from). Can we agree that SampleNLSPoolDictionary should be defined with a _PRAGMA_ method? Any idea of the source for AbtFeatureLoadGrp?

James Foster
jgfoster

Re: Frustration with packager warnings and errors

Postby marten » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:55 am

jgfoster wrote:The runtime packager contains a step that identifies warnings and errors. This list typically contains thousands of lines, almost all of which are related to problems in the base image (or vendor-supplied add-ons such as WindowBuilderPro). This makes the tool essentially useless as a way to find actual problems in an application. Does anyone find this tool useful, and if so, how do you deal with the overwhelming number of pre-existing problems?

To make matters worse, if there are unmanaged globals or pool dictionaries, then the display gets a walkback when trying to display the list. Since each the list is redisplayed each time the window is brought to the front (taking several seconds), a new walkback is reported. This makes the window essentially useless since it is impossible to go to the next step.

After spending several hours digging through the various unmanaged things, I've worked it down to two: (1) SampleNLSPoolDictionary (which seems to come from WbNLSExample), and (2) AbtFeatureLoadGrp (I don't know where it comes from). Can we agree that SampleNLSPoolDictionary should be defined with a _PRAGMA_ method? Any idea of the source for AbtFeatureLoadGrp?

James Foster

Very often this problems comes from incorrect prerequisites (perhaps unaware of the user/programmer). In the example above I would spend some time to get to know, why the packager wants to include code/data from example applications.

Another good idea is to package from a new, clean image just after loading your application using some configuration maps (etc).

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:42 am

James -

I have opened case 34405 for the problem of the 2 names in unmanaged namespace (not the more global "Why are there 1000's of messages coming out of the packager") -- fixed in V8.0.0.

1) The 'toBeLoadedCode' in WbNLSExample has been removed and a PRAGMA has been added to define SampleNLSPoolDictionary. This fix will be in the next release of WindowBuilder Pro.

2) AbtFeatureLoadGrp (an empty pool) looks like cruft in the build image. As a workaround you can delete it from the Smalltalk namespace. The fix will be in the next release of VA Smalltalk.

Thanks for letting us know about this problem.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby jgfoster » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 pm

John,

Thanks for the prompt reply confirming the two issues. I appreciate your work.

James
jgfoster

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0