Support for Windows XP style

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Support for Windows XP style

Postby crenz » Tue May 29, 2007 10:45 pm

I have tried to enable support for the Windows XP "candy" style for VA Smalltalk 7.5.1, but haven't been successful so far.

If I enable the section in the abt.exe.manifest file that activates the style, abt.exe will start, but buttons and text fields will not be displayed and in general, the tool will behave weirdly.

I tried to use the fix documented at http://www.schrievkrom.de/_sgg/m3m7_1.htm (look for "XP support"), but when changing these two methods, abt.exe will instantly crash on startup.

Is there any other fix I could try?
crenz

Re: Support for Windows XP style

Postby marten » Wed May 30, 2007 12:20 am

crenz wrote:I have tried to enable support for the Windows XP "candy" style for VA Smalltalk 7.5.1, but haven't been successful so far.

If I enable the section in the abt.exe.manifest file that activates the style, abt.exe will start, but buttons and text fields will not be displayed and in general, the tool will behave weirdly.

I tried to use the fix documented at http://www.schrievkrom.de/_sgg/m3m7_1.htm (look for "XP support"), but when changing these two methods, abt.exe will instantly crash on startup.

Is there any other fix I could try?

I can confirm this. Same behaviour under my XP-SP2 system. A new image does not start at all (it starts - but no windows appears, an already older image starts - but then the gui is unusable. The windows are not updated etc ..).
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Wed May 30, 2007 7:01 am

Currently the Windows Theme support functions properly on Windows Vista but not Windows XP -- this is why the manifest files are shipped with theme support disabled and instructions on how to enable it when running on Windows Vista.

The code changes in VA Smalltalk 7.5.1 for Windows Theme support represent a considerable extension of the code changes shown on Marten's website. So making those changes to a 7.5.1 image represent a regression of the Windows Theme support function.

I am investigating why Windows Theme support fails in somewhat unpredictable ways on XP (some images work fine, some images work fine on one machine but fail on others, the development image seems to fail on all machines). I will post here when a solution is discovered.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0