Wishes for Virtual Images for VASmalltalk

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Wishes for Virtual Images for VASmalltalk

Postby marten » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:43 am

I'm now preparing virtual images for VASmalltalk. Due to license problems with operating systems, the result can only be Linux based virtual images.

Another restriction is, that VirtualPC does not support 24bit color resolution - therefore the only solutions are VMWare based virtual images.

I've finished my first virtual image based on Ubuntu 6.10 and VASmalltalk test versions installed. With links on the desktop and the online help system and the emsrv code server running from start at runlevel 2, they are pretty good starting systems for VASmalltalk.

Now my questions: are there any other wishes out there for special images based on this package. I (for myself) would think about two additional images:

- ready for WWW development
- ready for RDBMS development

In the first category there seems to be Apache and Tomcat the first choice and in the later categories there would be IBM DB2 Express-C a good choice ?

Any ideas, hints or wishes in this direction ? If I'm ready with them I would give these images to Intantiations as community goodies - so that all people can download them

Marten Feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: Wishes for Virtual Images for VASmalltalk

Postby marten » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:27 am

marten wrote:I'm now preparing virtual images for VASmalltalk. Due to license problems with operating systems, the result can only be Linux based virtual images.

Ok, the first images are available. I hope, that they will also be available from the Community Goodies section at Instantiations - but here are the base work for them.

Actually two images are available:

a) Image with Ubuntu 6.10 and VASmalltalk 7.01 (Trial ..) [800 MB]
b) Image with Ubuntu 6.10, VASmalltalk and IBM DB2 V9.1 Express-C [1600 MB]

Both, Instantiations and IBM, allowed the offering of these images. The database contains two filled test databases (IBM sample and VASmalltalk sample and corrected DB2 stored procedures samples).

The images contains running VA documentation server, VA repository server and DB2 server running when booting the system. A preconfigured Smalltalk user and an already saved image for that user.

Just klick on that Desktop icon and learn about VASmalltalk.

The second image contains also Apache and Tomcat - but not configured. Therefore there may be a third edition somewhere in the future to allow also WWW-programming from the start ...

Source: http://www.schrievkrom.de , then "Other Stuff", then "VA Smalltak + DB2"

Due to the size of these download I offer these images as long as my provider allows me that - perhaps someone can name me a public, free alternative.

Have fun with it ....

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:43 am

The images are available for download from the community goodie page ...

Marten

PS.: I just read the documentation. If you want to test VA7.01 and DB2, always use "Ubuntu-610_VA-701_DB2-9-edition-0002.7z" and forget "Ubuntu-610_VA-701_DB2-9.7z".
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:41 am

New images for VMWare are ready ...

image with Ubuntu 6.10 and VASmalltalk 7.5
image with Ubuntu 6.10, VASmalltalk 7.5 and DB2 9.1 Express-C
image with OpenSuSE 10.2 and VASmalltalk 7.5

I created the last one to have at least one Linux distribution, which is at least more or less supported - and it shows how difficult it is to get it right on all platforms (Hey Eric :-)) - the FileOpen Dialog bug can be seen with the Ubuntu images but not under the OpenSuSE images.

Marten
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0