Different alignment between designer and runtime

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Different alignment between designer and runtime

Postby ashouric » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:58 pm

Dear all,

For the following case, the designer is aligning the upper panel to right, although in hosted mode and real time it is aligned to the left.

It is noticed that "Test" widget design view is aligned right, while "EntryPoint" design view is aligned left.

Code: Select all
public class Test extends Composite {

private Label label1;
   private Label label2;
   private Label label3;
   private Label label4;
   private Label label5;
   private Label label6;
   private static final String SPACER_TEXT = " ";

public Test() {
      final VerticalPanel verticalPanel = new VerticalPanel();
      initWidget(verticalPanel);
      verticalPanel.setHorizontalAlignment(HasHorizontalAlignment.ALIGN_RIGHT);

final HorizontalPanel upperHP = new HorizontalPanel();
      verticalPanel.add(upperHP);

DOM.setStyleAttribute( upperHP.getElement(), "background", "#ABCDEF" );
      final Label filller = new Label(" ");
      upperHP.add(filller);

label6 = new Label("6");
      upperHP.add(label6);

upperHP.add(new Label(SPACER_TEXT));

label5 = new Label("5");
      upperHP.add(label5);
      label5.setWordWrap(false);

label4 = new Label("4");
      upperHP.add(label4);
      label4.setWordWrap(false);

label3 = new Label("3");
      upperHP.add(label3);

label2 = new Label("2");
      upperHP.add(label2);
      label2.setWordWrap(false);

label1 = new Label("1");
      upperHP.add(label1);
      label1.setWordWrap(false);

final DockPanel middlePanel = new DockPanel();
      verticalPanel.add(middlePanel);

final HorizontalPanel lowerHP = new HorizontalPanel();
      verticalPanel.add(lowerHP);
   }

}
ashouric

Re: Different alignment between designer and runtime

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:41 pm

ashouric wrote:For the following case, the designer is aligning the upper panel to right, although in hosted mode and real time it is aligned to the left.

I don't understand. When I try your code, I get the same view in design mode and in hosted mode.

According to the following line of code, everything in the main panel is right-aligned...

This is what I see when editing the Composite...

When I add the Composite to my entry point module...

And in hosted mode...

Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby ashouric » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:35 pm

Using latest GWTDesigner 2006.10.17,
Eclipse 3.2.1 M20060921-0945, and
GWT 1.1.10

Eric Clayberg wrote:According to the following line of code, everything in the main panel is right-aligned...

Well, that is an intermediate development code, althought it is right, please see the below.

Make sure to use this:
public class ImageViewer implements EntryPoint {
   public void onModuleLoad() {
      RootPanel.get().add( new Test() );
   }
}

And here is what is visible to me:

ashouric

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:18 am

ashouric wrote:Well, that is an intermediate development code, althought it is right, please see the below.

Make sure to use this:
   }
}

And here is what is visible to me

I see the same thing that you do with the above code, so your pictures look correct.

They represent what I would expect to see both in Designer and at runtime, so what do you think is wrong with them?
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby ashouric » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:23 am

Well, after deliberate thinking, I believe the issue is that the designer assumes the width is greater than the contained elements.

Issue can be solved by setting the width of 'verticalPanel' to 100% or something like 500. So, actually host mode/runtime is correct, becuase it didn't expand the 'verticalPanel'.

I believe you have to make sure the designer sets the size (width/heigh) to 0 and expands as necessary only to the contained widgets.

Hope that solves, many thanks for your help.
ashouric

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:45 am

ashouric wrote:Well, after deliberate thinking, I believe the issue is that the designer assumes the width is greater than the contained elements.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't see any problem or inconsistency in the screen shots you posted.

ashouric wrote:Issue can be solved by setting the width of 'verticalPanel' to 100% or something like 500. So, actually host mode/runtime is correct, becuase it didn't expand the 'verticalPanel'.

If you embed the Composite in your mdule and don't specify a size, it will take on its preferred size which is just large enough to contain its children. The HorizontalPanel is still right-aligned, but in a container (the VerticalPanel) that is the same size. If you click on the Composite in your module and set its size via the property pane (make it 200x200 for example), you will see that the HorizontalPanel is right-aligned as expected (and as shown when you are editing it directly).

ashouric wrote:I believe you have to make sure the designer sets the size (width/heigh) to 0 and expands as necessary only to the contained widgets.

If you place the Composite in another container like your module and don't specify a size, that is exactly what GWT does and what GWT Designer shows you. If you edit the Composite directly, you can view it at any size that you like. The default initial size will match the preference set in the Deisgner > General > Default Form Size preferences. If you resize it in the design view, Designer will remember that size the next time you open that Composite.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:00 am

ashouric wrote:Make sure to use this:
   }
}

This is reason. Alignment works when there is extra space. But when you just add your Composite and don't set any size, it will use minimal size, so there are not space for alignment. In other words alignment still works, but you can not see this, because there are no space to the left of your aligned widgets.
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby ashouric » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:32 am

Konstantin.Scheglov wrote:Alignment works when there is extra space.

Exactly, this is what is concluded.

Fine, if you see this is a normal behaviour. But my original issue is simple:

In designer you should exactly see what is expected in the realtime, (WYSIWYG), right?

So, I suggest that the designer precisely shows the 'left alignment' in the above case.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before, but hope i am now.
ashouric

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:39 am

ashouric wrote:
Konstantin.Scheglov wrote:Alignment works when there is extra space.

Exactly, this is what is concluded.

Fine, if you see this is a normal behaviour. But my original issue is simple:

In designer you should exactly see what is expected in the realtime, (WYSIWYG), right?

Yes.

ashouric wrote:So, I suggest that the designer precisely shows the 'left alignment' in the above case.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before, but hope i am now.

Sorry, I don't understand you. Designer really shows as your form will look at runtime, I personally don't see any bug here.
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:47 am

ashouric wrote:In designer you should exactly see what is expected in the realtime, (WYSIWYG), right?

With some caveats...for example, when editing your Composite, we show placeholders for the "Empty dock panel" and "Empty horizontal panel" contained within your vertical panel. We also put a dotted outline around them.

If we did not do that, they would have zero size and you would not see them or be able to drop children on them.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby ashouric » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:39 am

Konstantin.Scheglov wrote:Designer really shows as your form will look at runtime.

Eric Clayberg wrote:
ashouric wrote:In designer you should exactly see what is expected in the realtime, (WYSIWYG), right?

With some caveats...

I understand and accept the situation now, if the TestWidget size is set, all views (designer, EntryPoint designer, realtime) are aligned right.

But if EntryPoint didn't set any size, and TestWidget size is too small (or undefined), designer view is aligned right, while others are aligned left (which was perceived as WYSIWYG violation).

Finally, real thanks for your amazing response.
ashouric

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:19 pm

ashouric wrote:I understand and accept the situation now, if the TestWidget size is set, all views (designer, EntryPoint designer, realtime) are aligned right.

But if EntryPoint didn't set any size, and TestWidget size is too small (or undefined), designer view is aligned right, while others are aligned left (which was perceived as WYSIWYG violation).

EntryPoint and TestWidget are separate classes that are independent of one another. If you look at TestWidget by itself, you should see the horizontal panel right aligned within its parent vertical panel. That is how your code is written and that is what you see.

TestWidget by itself, viewed in isolation, has no intrinsic size. It only has a size in the context of a containing parent. Designer will, in fact, allow you to resize it and see what it will look like at various sizes (since it could be at any size once it is place in a container). If we shrank TestWidget down to its smallest possible size (when edited itself), you would not be able to edit it graphically (it would be too small).

If you then embed TestWidget into your EntryPoint and don't give it a size, TestWidget will shrink to its preferred size. Likewise, if you drop TestWidget into your EntryPoint and specify a size, you should see TestWidget shown at that size.

Ultimately, how TestWidget looks is entirely dependent on the context. Is it being viewed standalone? Is it embedded in another container? Does it specify a size or not in that other container?
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer