GWT Designer problem on OS X

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

GWT Designer problem on OS X

Postby sawan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Hello,

I'm having a problem opening a GWT client interface file in the "design view".

I'm using Eclipse 3.5 on MAc OS X 10.6, GWT SDK version is 1.7.1.

Attached is a screen shot of the error.

I have tried re-installing the plugin and that didn't help. Re-installing Eclipse didn't work either.

Can anybody please help?

Sawan
Attachments
Screen shot 2009-12-25 at 11.59.41 AM.png
Error screenshot
Screen shot 2009-12-25 at 11.59.41 AM.png (192.02 KiB) Viewed 735 times
sawan

Re: GWT Designer problem on OS X

Postby sawan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Further update on this:

The designer refuses to open up for files generated by the GWT SDK 'webAppCreator' utility. I have managed to get the design view working with creating the project in Eclipse as a
'Window builder GWT Java project' and then having the SDK utility overwrite the files. Refreshing the project brings in the new files and 'design' does the right thing.

Sawan
sawan

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:30 am

What do you mean by "the designer refuses to open up"? Please be specific.

Also, it is always a good idea to start with the docs...

http://download.instantiations.com/D2WB ... ngProjects

http://download.instantiations.com/D2WB ... indow.html

Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby sawan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The attached screen shot should show you what I mean. When I click on the 'design' tab of the GWT client interface, I get that error.

For now I have managed to get that part working, however there seems to be a bug in the JVM that causes GWT 1.7.1 on JDK 1.5 OS X to not work properly.

http://grack.com/blog/2009/04/14/gwt-16 ... and-a-fix/
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu ... id=6614100

The suggested fixes don't work out for me.

Sawan
sawan

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:02 pm

It's not clear to me what error you are getting as your prior message stated that you "managed to get the design view working".

Your most recent message did not include any attachment.

It would be helpful to see your Eclipse ".log" file and the project you are having a problem with.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby sawan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi,

Please find the sample project attached (war/lib has missing JAR to get around forum file size limit).

I suspect this is not an Eclipse/GWT Designer problem rather it is some bug caused by a combination of sing older GWT (1.7.1) on OS X 10.6.

Below is the error I get when I run 'ant -debug hosted' in the project directory.

===================================================================================================================
ant -debug hosted
Apache Ant version 1.7.1 compiled on June 27 2008
Buildfile: build.xml
Adding reference: ant.PropertyHelper
Detected Java version: 1.6 in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home
Detected OS: Mac OS X
Adding reference: ant.ComponentHelper
Setting ro project property: ant.file -> /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/build.xml
Adding reference: ant.projectHelper
Adding reference: ant.parsing.context
Adding reference: ant.targets
parsing buildfile /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/build.xml with URI = file:/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/build.xml
Setting ro project property: ant.project.name -> ImageViewer
Adding reference: ImageViewer
Setting ro project property: ant.file.ImageViewer -> /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/build.xml
Project base dir set to: /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer
+Target:
+Target: libs
+Target: javac
+Target: gwtc
+Target: hosted
+Target: build
+Target: war
+Target: clean
[antlib:org.apache.tools.ant] Could not load definitions from resource org/apache/tools/ant/antlib.xml. It could not be found.
Setting project property: gwt.sdk -> /Users/svithlani/lib/gwt-mac-1.7.1
Condition true; setting XstartOnFirstThreadFlag to -XstartOnFirstThread
Setting project property: XstartOnFirstThreadFlag -> -XstartOnFirstThread
Condition true; setting d32Flag to -d32
Setting project property: d32Flag -> -d32
Adding reference: project.class.path
Attempting to create object of type org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor
Adding reference: ant.executor
Build sequence for target(s) `hosted' is [libs, javac, hosted]
Complete build sequence is [libs, javac, hosted, clean, gwtc, build, war, ]

libs:
[mkdir] Skipping /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/lib because it already exists.
[copy] /Users/svithlani/lib/gwt-mac-1.7.1/gwt-servlet.jar omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/lib/gwt-servlet.jar is up to date.

javac:
[mkdir] Skipping /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes because it already exists.
fileset: Setup scanner in dir /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/src with patternSet{ includes: [**] excludes: [] }
[javac] /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/src/com/mycompany/project/ImageViewer.gwt.xml skipped - don't know how to handle it
[javac] com/mycompany/project/client/GreetingService.java omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project/client/GreetingService.class is up to date.
[javac] com/mycompany/project/client/GreetingServiceAsync.java omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project/client/GreetingServiceAsync.class is up to date.
[javac] com/mycompany/project/client/ImageViewer.java omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project/client/ImageViewer.class is up to date.
[javac] com/mycompany/project/server/GreetingServiceImpl.java omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project/server/GreetingServiceImpl.class is up to date.
fileset: Setup scanner in dir /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/src with patternSet{ includes: [] excludes: [**/*.java] }
[copy] com/mycompany/project/ImageViewer.gwt.xml omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project/ImageViewer.gwt.xml is up to date.
[copy] omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes is up to date.
[copy] com omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com is up to date.
[copy] com/mycompany omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany is up to date.
[copy] com/mycompany/project omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project is up to date.
[copy] com/mycompany/project/client omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project/client is up to date.
[copy] com/mycompany/project/server omitted as /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/project/server is up to date.

hosted:
fileset: Setup scanner in dir /Users/svithlani/lib/gwt-mac-1.7.1 with patternSet{ includes: [gwt-dev*.jar] excludes: [] }
fileset: Setup scanner in dir /Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/lib with patternSet{ includes: [**/*.jar] excludes: [] }
[java] Executing '/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/bin/java' with arguments:
[java] '-Xmx256M'
[java] '-XstartOnFirstThread'
[java] '-d32'
[java] '-classpath'
[java] '/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/src:/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes:/Users/svithlani/lib/gwt-mac-1.7.1/gwt-user.jar:/Users/svithlani/lib/gwt-mac-1.7.1/gwt-dev-mac.jar:/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/lib/gwt-servlet.jar'
[java] 'com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode'
[java] '-startupUrl'
[java] 'ImageViewer.html'
[java] 'com.mycompany.project.ImageViewer'
[java]
[java] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
[java] not part of the command.
Execute:Java13CommandLauncher: Executing '/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/bin/java' with arguments:
'-Xmx256M'
'-XstartOnFirstThread'
'-d32'
'-classpath'
'/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/src:/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/classes:/Users/svithlani/lib/gwt-mac-1.7.1/gwt-user.jar:/Users/svithlani/lib/gwt-mac-1.7.1/gwt-dev-mac.jar:/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/war/WEB-INF/lib/gwt-servlet.jar'
'com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode'
'-startupUrl'
'ImageViewer.html'
'com.mycompany.project.ImageViewer'

The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
not part of the command.
[java] 2009-12-26 11:14:56.089 java[2865:a07] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Enabled
[java] 2009-12-26 11:14:56.092 java[2865:a07] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Setting timeout for SWT to 0.100000
[java] Invalid memory access of location 0x10 eip=0x9674377b
[java]

BUILD FAILED
/Users/svithlani/src/eclipse-workspace/ImageViewer/build.xml:63: Java returned: 138
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Java.execute(Java.java:108)
at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1337)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1189)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:758)
at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:217)
at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)

Total time: 17 seconds
===================================================================================================================

Thank you.

Sawan
Attachments
ImageViewer.tgz
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
sawan

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:30 pm

I tried your project, and it worked fine on my end.

I did not see anything GWT Designer related in your last post, so I am still unclear on what issue you want us to help you with.

Again, it would be helpful to see your Eclipse ".log" file showing any GWT Designer related issues.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby sawan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Sorry, are you using Eclipse 3.5 on OS X 10.6?
sawan

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 pm

sawan wrote:Sorry, are you using Eclipse 3.5 on OS X 10.6?

Yes...

gwt-osx.png
gwt-osx.png (232.6 KiB) Viewed 701 times

Again, I did not see anything GWT Designer related in your prior post, so I am still unclear on what issue you want us to help you with.

If you are having general issues with GWT under OSX, you should address those to Google's GWT forum.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer