Design mode ok, till component is added

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Design mode ok, till component is added

Postby bpetro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:38 am

Eric,

I have attached a pretty simple standalone component. I can view the attached component in design mode by itself (though I had to wrap all references to the PagingToolbar to hide them from Designer). But if I create a simple Component that will then hold this component, and in design mode try to add this to it - I start hitting errors. Any ideas?

Just in case - I'll restate:
Attached file: PrdOrderListingGrid.java - I can open in design mode - it doesn't see the right columns or anything like that but it opens a reasonably realistic view.
Then create another component - call it - PrdOrderListing.java - I just add a VerticalPanel and a Label, then I try to add this internal component (PrdOrderListingGrid) while in design view and it crashes after adding the code to include the component.
Code: Select all
{
   PrdOrderListingGrid gridPanel = new PrdOrderListingGrid();
   verticalPanel.add(gridPanel);
}

Just to check, I exit Eclipse, come back in and try to open PrdOrderListing in design mode and it still is failing with error. I would quote the error, but I assume if you take this and try to add it to a simple outer component yourself you should get the same error. Yell if you don't and you want to see the error stack.

Suggestions?
Attachments
PrdOrderListingGrid.java
(6.16 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
bpetro

Re: Design mode ok, till component is added

Postby bpetro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:21 pm

OK, after struggling for the last couple hours, I find
a) it appears something was screwy about the grid component code.
b) I have fixed that it appears (I'll upload the new version) and now it appears to load into both.

But the issues I guess I'd make note of are:
a) You would think loading the direct component or after being added to a parent would both either work or die.
b) its awfully hard to determine what caused developer to die during an attempt to go into designer mode.

But again - the root problem was mine.
Attachments
PrdOrderListingGrid2.java
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
bpetro

Re: Design mode ok, till component is added

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:22 am

In the latest build, you will see the actual component exception in the log (rather than the side effect triggered in GWT Designer). In this case, you should have seen something like this:

Code: Select all
com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError): 'undefined' is null or not an object
number: -2146823281
description: 'undefined' is null or not an object
   at com.gwtext.client.widgets.Component.render(Native Method)
   at com.gwtext.client.widgets.Component.getElement(Component.java:427)
   at com.gwtext.client.widgets.Component.getElement(Component.java:405)
   at com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.Composite.initWidget(Composite.java:86)
   at com.mycompany.project.client.PrdOrderListingGrid.<init>(PrdOrderListingGrid.java:55)

Unfortinately, that isn't a very illuminating exception, but that is coming directly from the GWT-Ext component.

The only way to get a better exception message is to request an enhancement from the folks working on GWT-Ext itself.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer