Clean reinstall to restore functionality??

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Clean reinstall to restore functionality??

Postby bdemchak » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:24 am

Hi --

I was trying to solve a mysterious problem reported by Eclipse (...can not be found in source packages...) on one of my modules. In reading forum articles, I figured out that I at least need to update to the newest version of GWT (1.5.2) and GWT Designer (9/27/08). And that's what I did ... and now GWT 1.5.2 seems to be working, but GWT Designer is totally missing in action.

To install GWT Designer, I ran the Windows installer. I accepted all of the defaults (including the appropriate Eclipse path). Near the end, I got a question regarding deinstalling previous versions ... I told it to deinstall previous versions. And I have run this installer a couple of times ... with identical results.

Bottom line: no GWT entries on any context menus, no GWT or Designer project selection ... it's like I never installed it at all. If I look into my Eclipse links directory, there are none ... at all. There are lots of fresh com.instantiations links in my Eclipse dropins directory.

:( I have no idea what to do to get my GWT Designer functionality back. :(

(In Eclipse's Software Updates dialog, I can see the various GWT Designer components in the Installed Software tab, and they appear to be the correct versions. However, in the Available Software tab, I see the CSSEditor, Designer, and GWT Designer. When I click on Designer, I get the following error: No repository found at file:/E:/Sysprog/Instantiations/Deisnger_v6.7.0.200808181215/E-3.4/" ... could this be part of the problem??)

As you can see ... I need a few well targeted words ... can anyone help??

THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM!

Thanks.
bdemchak

Re: Clean reinstall to restore functionality??

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:44 am

If you are using Eclipse 3.4, you have likely run into a common Eclipse 3.4 bug.

See the Designer FAQ for suggestions.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer