Three questions

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Three questions

Postby cbpusa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:41 am

So,

I went and built a gwt project and then simply wanted to build the deployment war but the deploy option doesn't show in the drop down. What am I missing?

Anyway, next I thought I'd create a gwt/web project and then add a module and deploy that - however, in doing this, I found that the gwt builder wasn't added to the project and neither was the gwt jar (yes, I downloaded gwt, installed and configured everything correctly and I threw together a screen to play with). So, if I'm creating a gwt/web project, how am I then supposed to correctly add a gwt module that gets built by the gwt builder correctly?

Then, skipping the fact that I couldn't deploy my gwt module, I decided to add in gwtext - however, when upon build, it found none of the sources - that made sense because I only added the jar to the list of referenced jars and, no doubt, the gwt compiler can't find the source (source missing is the error I get anyway). So, when adding 3d party gwt relevant jars like gwtext, how am I supposed to add them beyond being a referenced jar?

Now, up front I must admit that I am a JBuilder and Netbeans guy and I am something of a noob with finding things in Eclipse - so perhaps I'm just missing some basic knowledge herein?

thanks,

Chris
cbpusa

Re: Three questions

Postby vampie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:17 am

you can see deploy when you click on your package.. not on project.. but in src..
vampie

Postby cbpusa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks,

I figured out the other issues. Now I'm running into an out of memory error when the GWT compiler is running - this ought to be a simple -X switch somewhere - actually, it would seem like the GWT builder would be editable and you could simply change this.

Anyway - thoughts, suggestions, answers are really welcome!

Chris
cbpusa

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:53 pm

cbpusa wrote:I went and built a gwt project and then simply wanted to build the deployment war but the deploy option doesn't show in the drop down. What am I missing?

You need to right-click on the module as shown in the docs.

cbpusa wrote:Anyway, next I thought I'd create a gwt/web project and then add a module and deploy that - however, in doing this, I found that the gwt builder wasn't added to the project and neither was the gwt jar (yes, I downloaded gwt, installed and configured everything correctly and I threw together a screen to play with). So, if I'm creating a gwt/web project, how am I then supposed to correctly add a gwt module that gets built by the gwt builder correctly?

As stated in the docs, GWT projects and Web projects are distinct entities and should not be mixed. A Web project can reference GWT modules via its Web Project properties. A Web project should not contain any GWT elements directly.

cbpusa wrote:Then, skipping the fact that I couldn't deploy my gwt module, I decided to add in gwtext - however, when upon build, it found none of the sources - that made sense because I only added the jar to the list of referenced jars and, no doubt, the gwt compiler can't find the source (source missing is the error I get anyway). So, when adding 3d party gwt relevant jars like gwtext, how am I supposed to add them beyond being a referenced jar?

Instructions for setting up GWT-Ext are available on the GWT-Ext web site.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby cbpusa » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:12 am

Hi Eric,

Actually, you may have missed my follow up post where I stated that I figured all of these out already - I'm just not used to an IDE that limits one in this way. I should have re-written the original post since I already figured the original three questions out myself - sorry about that. Oh, and btw, I read the doc and it said *should* not *must* - having been a programmer for 31 years, I tend to take should and read that as "but you can if you really want to" - you might want to change the wording a bit there.

So, the only question I still had was where I could go and add a -X flag to up the memory for the GWT compler - normally, if doing it by hand this would be in the java command line to run the compiler - since this is being invoked from Instantiation's builder and since the edit button is grayed out, I'm assuming this capability is elsewhere?

thanks,

Chris
cbpusa

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:48 am

cbpusa wrote:I'm just not used to an IDE that limits one in this way.

I'm not sure what "limits" you are referring to.

cbpusa wrote:I read the doc and it said *should* not *must* - having been a programmer for 31 years, I tend to take should and read that as "but you can if you really want to" - you might want to change the wording a bit there.

The wording is intentional and correct as-is. You should not mix them, but you can if you have some overriding reason to do so. Nothing will actually prevent you from doing this. You can also use GWT with a WTP Web project as well, if you want to.

cbpusa wrote:So, the only question I still had was where I could go and add a -X flag to up the memory for the GWT compler - normally, if doing it by hand this would be in the java command line to run the compiler - since this is being invoked from Instantiation's builder and since the edit button is grayed out, I'm assuming this capability is elsewhere?

You can set the maximum amount of memory used by the GWT compiler on the GWT Module Deployment dialog.

compiler-memory.png
GWT Module Deployment compiler memory options
compiler-memory.png (21.73 KiB) Viewed 897 times

For GWT launch configurations, you can set the maximum memory used by the VM with standard Eclipse options.

gwt-launch-memory.png
GWT launch configuration memory
gwt-launch-memory.png (60.03 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer