Hot deploy on Tomcat

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Hot deploy on Tomcat

Postby yca » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:40 am

Hello,

2 questions related to hot deployment on Tomcat with Eclipse and (perhaps) GWT Designer:

(Hosted Tomcat)
I developped a Remote Service. I can call it from the Hosted Browser (Run...GWT Application form GWT Designer). However, when changing the implementation of the RemoteServiceImpl, changes are not automatically deployed on the Hosted Tomcat. Refreshing the Hosted Browser is not enough.

Is there a way to avoid the restart of the Hosted Shell?
(not sure if it is due to my GWT Designer configuration or not).

(stand-alone Tomcat)
I have an eclipse Dynamic Web Project where I hot deploy my application. Everything is fine except that I have to compile the client Java files to Javascript. That is normal. However, is there a way to make the Javascript builds by GWT Designer, without making a War and dezipping the needed files (perhaps by modifying the Ant file)? Cytal plug-in offers this choice (.war or all flat files) but it would be nice to have it in GWT Designer as well, since for the rest, GWT Designer seems beautiful. Making an automatic build of the changed files only would be perfect.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Yves.
yca

Re: Hot deploy on Tomcat

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:16 am

yca wrote:Hello,

2 questions related to hot deployment on Tomcat with Eclipse and (perhaps) GWT Designer:

(Hosted Tomcat)
I developped a Remote Service. I can call it from the Hosted Browser (Run...GWT Application form GWT Designer). However, when changing the implementation of the RemoteServiceImpl, changes are not automatically deployed on the Hosted Tomcat. Refreshing the Hosted Browser is not enough.

Is there a way to avoid the restart of the Hosted Shell?
(not sure if it is due to my GWT Designer configuration or not).

Use "debug" instead of "run".
On Java 1.4 and higher Eclipse can perform so named "hot code replace". It works for for both client and server parts, event "impl" of remote services.

yca wrote:2.
(stand-alone Tomcat)
I have an eclipse Dynamic Web Project where I hot deploy my application. Everything is fine except that I have to compile the client Java files to Javascript. That is normal. However, is there a way to make the Javascript builds by GWT Designer, without making a War and dezipping the needed files (perhaps by modifying the Ant file)? Cytal plug-in offers this choice (.war or all flat files) but it would be nice to have it in GWT Designer as well, since for the rest, GWT Designer seems beautiful. Making an automatic build of the changed files only would be perfect.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Yves.

You can get generated build.xml and tweak it to compile Java to JavaScript only, and target to the folder you need.

Also note that incremental compilation Java to JavaScript is not possible because:

1. compilation is process that takes much of time;
2. because of heavy optimizations that are performed by GWT compiler it requires to see and work with FULL source.
Konstantin.Scheglov

Re: Hot deploy on Tomcat

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 pm

Did this solve yoru problem?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby yca » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:17 am

Konstantin,

Thanks for your fast and correct answers.

1. Debug mode indeed do a 'hot code replace'. Now it works. Tx.

2. Changing the generated Ant file was indeed one of my ideas. Didn't try it yet since Cytal do it for free for me. Anyway, it is a detail. For the rest I am very happy with your tool.

Thanks a lot,

Yves.
yca

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Specifically, what does Cytal do fir free?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer