"New GWT Module" wizard generated results (proposa

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

"New GWT Module" wizard generated results (proposa

Postby peterblazejewicz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Hello,
I wonder if there is a requirement for "New GWT Module" wizard to generate default entry point implementation (class + gwt.xml entry tag). I understand that is easy way for someone to create new project from scratch with just few-clicks,
Could "New GWT Module" create correct module package, gwt.xml and no entry point file and module entry only? For example for project which all purpose is to serve as 3rd party/external library there is no need to create entry points at all.
Maybe you could change "New GWT Module" wizard window to have option "Create GWT EntryPoint" checked by default (contrary to "Create GWT MOdule" in new project creator wizard). That way your tool could be more productive also for people not writing any GUI classes in current project (no manual file deletion and module .xml modification required),
just idea,
regards,
Peter
Last edited by peterblazejewicz on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Blazejewicz
GWT groups profile
peterblazejewicz

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:29 pm

I don't understand you fully.
Currently we create many things - package, gwt.xml, EntryPoint, several resource files in "public".

Can you describe, what exactly should be created for such empty GWT module?
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby peterblazejewicz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:57 pm

hi Konstantin,

let me explain:
- I want to have separate gwt library which will contain common code for use with web project and application project. These could be for example set of data transfer objects, no css or other content in static public folder
- I want to have separate gwt library which contains definitions of custom widgets including custom css and other static content.

For both above project I don't need entry point declaration in {$NAME}.gwt.xml module and don't need entry point implementation class.
I don't say that's wrong that wizard creates default implementation and entry in gwt.xml file but it would be more flexible if that option could be disabled and new module wizard simply could simply create all usuall stuff excluding default impementation in "client" folder and excluding entry point information to gwt.xml. Otherwise one needs to delete generate file and remove generated entry from .gwt.xml.
That's just proposal, it could make GWT Designer even more flexible to generate different kind of gwt projects,

regards,
Peter
Peter Blazejewicz
GWT groups profile
peterblazejewicz

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:13 pm

Give this a try in the latest build.

The New GWT Module page has a new Create EntryPoint and public resources check box.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby peterblazejewicz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:09 pm

hi Eric,
kudos, it's working!

I think you could update your docs to reflect that change (amongst others),

for example: "how to create common shareable widget library project?" subject:

start "New GWT module" wizard

enter your module name and package name:
"MyLibrary"
"com.company.code.mylibrary"

uncheck "Create EntryPoint and public resources"

customize generated gwt.xml to not use "client" folder (which is suggested for full-blown project but not especially for just code libraries)
- add information to include stylesheet (will need to be added/created by hand in public folder):
Code: Select all
<module>
   <inherits name="com.google.gwt.user.User"/>
   <stylesheet src="styles.css" />
   <source path="widgets" />
</module>

now create "com.company.code.mylibrary.widgets" package and delete "client", "server" packages
add your "styles.css" to "public" folder

from that point you can start using GWT Designer "design" view editor as usually.

BWT: I think "Create EntryPoint and public resources" option should be always checked on by default (it should not have "memory").

thanks,
regards,
Peter
Peter Blazejewicz
GWT groups profile
peterblazejewicz

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:50 am

peterblazejewicz wrote:I think you could update your docs to reflect that change
Done.

peterblazejewicz wrote:for example: "how to create common shareable widget library project?" subject

Done.

peterblazejewicz wrote:I think "Create EntryPoint and public resources" option should be always checked on by default (it should not have "memory").

That is the case.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer