Deployed web app

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Deployed web app

Postby dcosio » Thu May 31, 2007 11:17 am

Hi, I created a web project and I used the deploy tool from the IDE.. I started my tomcat server and tried to debug my app and Im getting this error.. Which is the same error I got trying the outside of a webapp..

I've asked a couple of questions on this forum and havn't recieved any replys. I've search around for some similar issues and havn't found any.. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong

ava.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:588)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.init(StandardEngine.java:411)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:463)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded.start(Embedded.java:846)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.tomcat.EmbeddedTomcatServer.start(EmbeddedTomcatServer.java:56)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.startUp(GWTShell.java:710)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.run(GWTShell.java:517)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.main(GWTShell.java:303)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
at org.apache.catalina.logger.LoggerBase.createObjectName(LoggerBase.java:427)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1050)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:478)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded.start(Embedded.java:846)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.tomcat.EmbeddedTomcatServer.start(EmbeddedTomcatServer.java:56)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.startUp(GWTShell.java:710)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.run(GWTShell.java:517)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.main(GWTShell.java:303)
dcosio

Postby dcosio » Thu May 31, 2007 12:07 pm

ok.. I noticed that when i select -noserver the google browser starts but it's says it can't find my local server. So, is there something up with the embedded tomcat. I've used my GWT installation with the sample and it works ok. I even followed the instructions to launch from eclipse and the samples worked ok.. So, something is not write with the Designer config.. O... and I just bought a license.. :lol:
dcosio

Re: Deployed web app

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu May 31, 2007 6:45 pm

Looks like Tomcat can't start for some reason. I don't see anything in the exception or description that indicates a GWT Designer problem though.

If you can pull together some sort of reproducible test case, we can take a look.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby dcosio » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:48 am

Let me know what you would want. I can zip up the project and send it..
Before I installed Designer Iwas able to use the Dynatable sample which uses the embedded tomcat.. I doen'st seem to work when using a project created with designer..

I also tried to deploy it to my instance to tomcat and then use the -noserver option.. The GWT browser starts but it can't find my entry point html page thru the local server..

There has got to be some kind of config issue that i'm not seeing
dcosio

Postby dcosio » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:32 am

I just tryed dynatable again and it works find.. The only difference between my project I created with Designer and Dynatable is Dynatable has a www directory that contains all the html gwt.js etc. It also has a .launch file in the root project directory where mine doesn't .. Should these have been created?
dcosio

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:51 am

1. "www" directory contains DynaTable compiled from Java into JavaScript. When you run GWT application in hosted mode, "www" directory is not used.

2. How do you start DynaTable to check that it works?

3. Where is located your project (full path)?
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby dcosio » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:52 am

ok.. I copied the DynaTable.launch to my project renamed it and editted the file to point reference my project and i was able to launch the Project in the google development shell.. Now there has got to be something wrong with the designer GWT application launcher.. I've han't tried to connect to my service so i may still have issues there.. but when i used the GWT application launcher to run with -noserver it should have at least started the dev shell like I have it running now..
dcosio

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:19 am

Hm... May be you have some specific configuration. I never seen such problem with running Tomcat when you our "GWT application" configuration.

Can you send us "Command Line" from "Properties" (popup menu) of process in "Debug" view?
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby dcosio » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:05 am

There is nothing in the properties view in debug mode..(If that is what you are asking for.. Im not sure I understand).. Also, I did get the embedded tomcat to work without using GWT application launch.. so I must have something configed wrong... I would send you a screen shot but I don't have a system to host it on.
dcosio

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 am

dcosio wrote:I would send you a screen shot but I don't have a system to host it on.

You could always use e-mail.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:25 am

dcosio wrote:There is nothing in the properties view in debug mode..(If that is what you are asking for.. Im not sure I understand).. Also, I did get the embedded tomcat to work without using GWT application launch.. so I must have something configed wrong... I would send you a screen shot but I don't have a system to host it on.

I mean not "Properties" view, but "Properties" item in popup (context) menu of process (not launch, but its child) in "Debug" view (on Debug perspective).
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby dcosio » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:49 am

gotcha.. here it is

C:\j2sdk1.5_09\bin\javaw.exe "-Xbootclasspath/p:C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\activation.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\javax.servlet.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\javax.servlet.jsp.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\jboss-j2ee.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\jboss-jaxrpc.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\jboss-jsr77.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\jboss-saaj.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\mail.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\namespace.jar;C:\Program Files\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\255\1\.cp\J2EELibraries\J2EE_1.4\xml-apis.jar" "-Xbootclasspath/a:C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\activation.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\javax.servlet.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\javax.servlet.jsp.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\jboss-j2ee.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\jboss-jaxrpc.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\jboss-jsr77.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\jboss-saaj.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\mail.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\namespace.jar;C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.1.1 GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.1.1\data\libraryset\1.4\xml-apis.jar" -classpath C:/workspace/Reports/src;C:\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.swtdesigner.gwt\gwt-user-patch.jar;C:\workspace\Reports\WebRoot\WEB-INF\classes;C:\workspace\Reports\WebRoot\WEB-INF\lib\ojdbc14.jar;C:\gwt-windows-1.3.3\gwt-user.jar;C:\gwt-windows-1.3.3\gwt-dev-windows.jar;C:\gwt-windows-1.3.3\gwt-servlet.jar;C:\workspace\Reports\WebRoot\WEB-INF\lib\ojdbc14.jar;C:/gwt-windows-1.3.3/gwt-dev-windows.jar -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,suspend=y,address=localhost:1992 com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell -port 8888 -logLevel ERROR -out www -style OBFUSCATED com.opsec.GWTReports.Reports/Reports.html
dcosio

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:35 pm

Compare this with my launch line:

C:\jdk1.6.0\bin\javaw.exe -classpath C:/eclipsePL/runtime-workspace2/SimpleRCP/src;C:\eclipsePL\runtime-workspace2\.metadata\.plugins\com.swtdesigner.gwt\gwt-user-patch.jar;C:\eclipsePL\runtime-workspace2\SimpleRCP\bin;C:\gwt-windows-1.3.3\gwt-user.jar;C:/gwt-windows-1.3.3/gwt-dev-windows.jar com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell -port 8888 -logLevel TRACE -out www -style OBFUSCATED com.mycompany.project.SimpleRPC/SimpleRPC.html

Now I see that there are a lot of extra jar's in your command line. Do you use GWT project created by GWT Designer? Some of these jar's, especially when they are added in boot classpath (and by unknown reason two times from different locations) can cause conflicts with Tomcat from GWT.
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby dcosio » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:49 am

I'm going to have to start over again and create a new project. I had to make som many changes to get this to work that I'm not suprised our properties look different.. So this is what Im going to do.. Since Im want to keep my remote service in the same project and deploy it as a web project Im going to create a web project.. I'll keep not of my exact steps and I will keep track of my properties as I go along..
dcosio

Postby dcosio » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:55 am

ok, here is my first question. I created the GWT web project.. I then went to create a module and the "Google Web Toolkit" option in my project pulldown(select project->righ-click.. at the bottom of the pulldown) say "Convert project to a GWT project". Does this mean I can't combine a Web Project and a GWT project?
dcosio

Next

Return to GWT Designer