How to find tutorials or User Guide for GWT?

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

How to find tutorials or User Guide for GWT?

Postby Slot Head » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:43 am

Hi Eric, can you explain how to see the on line GWT documentation? When I click on GWT Designer Guide it takes me to the wrong place. Maybe you have a broken link or PEBCAK?

Specifically, I need to learn how to do RPC's and servletts.

I was really wowed by your on line GWT webinar this week, and having seen what you did with SWT-Designer over the last year, I am confident you've got another winner here. For a guy who knows zilch about web programming, but has used SWT-Designer (which is so easy to use), this totally rocks!

I've been using Hibernate so per your advice to another post, I will go Google GWT Hibernate to explore how I may build out the backend. I would hope that you guys build demos or tutorials for topics like that in the future.
Slot Head

Postby ashouric » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:48 am

ashouric

Postby Slot Head » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks for the response.
I'm busy with a lot things. Ultimately, I will have to read and master everything that Google has written about GWT, but once I do that, I probably would not need or want GWT Designer.

Eric, how about a quick tutorial on RPC's like you did in the webinar? Or, is there a video of the webinar?

For those of us who have used GUI designers before, demos showing all the nifty widgets is a poor use of our time or yours. It's clear GWT Designer does a great job on the client side.

The more you can show that GWT Designer also faciliatates server side design, the stronger it will be.
Slot Head

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:01 pm

The GWT Designer docs are here.

Slot Head wrote:Ultimately, I will have to read and master everything that Google has written about GWT, but once I do that, I probably would not need or want GWT Designer.

Even if you read everything that Google says about GWT, it still won't make writing clients-side GWT UI code any easier. That is what GWT Designer is for.

Slot Head wrote:is there a video of the webinar?

You can watch the recorded webinar here.

Slot Head wrote:For those of us who have used GUI designers before, demos showing all the nifty widgets is a poor use of our time or yours. It's clear GWT Designer does a great job on the client side.

Keep in mind that GWT Designer is a client-side GUI construction tool.

It is not a full GWT application construction tool (it may evolve that way, but it isn't there now).

Slot Head wrote:The more you can show that GWT Designer also faciliatates server side design, the stronger it will be.

At the moment , GWT Designer does very little to facilitate servser side design. If you have suggestions for specific features that you would like to see, let us know (the more descriptive, the better).
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer