Empty plugin.xml Problem

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Empty plugin.xml Problem

Postby meme » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:10 am

Hi there,

I've some trouble with the combination of WindowBuilder 4.2 (Build id: 2005.11.04) and Eclipse 3.1.2 (Build id: M20060118-1600).
Everytime I'm creating a new Plugin-Project (Entering name pressing proceed and after that finish (none of the samples)) and creating an ViewPart I receive an empty plugin.xml:

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?eclipse version="3.0"?>
<plugin>

</plugin>

Out of the workspace directory (wich is located at: d:\ws) I find a new directory (with the same name of the project) with an plugin.xml as needed:

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?eclipse version="3.0"?>
<plugin
>
   <extension
         point="org.eclipse.ui.views">
      <view
            class="projekt1.views.P1View"
            id="projekt1.views.P1View"
            name="P1 View"/>
   </extension>
</plugin>

One thing I've seen is:
When I've created a new View (directly after creating the plugin) there is no plugin.xml. After I've push the "add" button on the Extension page of the PDE-Editor, the view shows immediately, without any action (in the list of the PDE).
The PDE-Editor shows also the plugin.xml-source correctly but it saves in the completly wrong location. Even if i change the contents manually in the pde and save it, it will be stored in the wrong location.

I wrote that in here, because there are no such problems when I try to create an view manually in eclipse (without swt/window-designer).

I think it might have to do something with the way how the designer works with the plugin.xml (or the api).

yours sincerly

Marc
meme

Re: Empty plugin.xml Problem

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:14 pm

Designer was expecting a plugin.xml to already exist.

Since none was found, a new one was created.

Try this again in the latest v4.2.1 build.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer