Requesting a window like the preview/test one.

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Requesting a window like the preview/test one.

Postby Kelly » Fri May 06, 2005 5:42 am

Hi,

Do not know about anyone else but I normally design all the widgets that will go into a screen and then switch to the source view and start adding code to make it work.

I find myself switching back and forth between the source and designer screen, because I have forgotten the widgets and thier name. I guess my short term memory is not as good as it use to be but on screens with alot of widgets I image few people could remember them all.

What I would like to see is a popup window that can be triggered from the source view, that displays a screen kinda like the preview/test screen does but is NOT modal and when I mouse over a widget it shows me a tooltip of it's name.

I have been using F12 to switch between source and designer but after clicking on the widget to get it's name and pressing F12 I am placed at the widget creation code and that is noramlly not were I was typing before I looked up the widget name.

This screen I would like could be created on request and not updated until the user asks for it to be refreshed, if that makes it easier to code.

Thanks and great work on this product btw.
Kelly

Re: Requesting a window like the preview/test one.

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri May 06, 2005 11:56 am

Kelly wrote:I find myself switching back and forth between the source and designer screen, because I have forgotten the widgets and thier name. I guess my short term memory is not as good as it use to be but on screens with alot of widgets I image few people could remember them all. What I would like to see is a popup window that can be triggered from the source view, that displays a screen kinda like the preview/test screen does but is NOT modal and when I mouse over a widget it shows me a tooltip of it's name. I have been using F12 to switch between source and designer but after clicking on the widget to get it's name and pressing F12 I am placed at the widget creation code and that is noramlly not were I was typing before I looked up the widget name.

Have you considered using Designer with both the design vew and source view showing at the same time? That would seem solve the problem you describe.

Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer