Problems with Eclipse menus using latest SWT designer

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Problems with Eclipse menus using latest SWT designer

Postby nph » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:39 am

After installing the latest version from december 8, which by the way solved my scroll bar problem, I have encountered another peculiar problem. After several tests I have found that if I start up Eclipse and having a source active in source mode, that is I have not activated the design window yet, and trying to access an Eclipse menu I get the menu showing but I can not select anything the whole Eclipse hangs and I have to interrupt it via task manager. On the other hand it seems as if I before activating any Eclipse menu I go into the design window of swt designer and then back to the source the Eclipse menu works fine. I have observed this since the last installation and I think I have found the way to work around, but it feels as if it is some problem with the wndowbuilder.
nph

Re: Problems with Eclipse menus using latest SWT designer

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:04 am

nph wrote:After installing the latest version from december 8, which by the way solved my scroll bar problem, I have encountered another peculiar problem. After several tests I have found that if I start up Eclipse and having a source active in source mode, that is I have not activated the design window yet, and trying to access an Eclipse menu I get the menu showing but I can not select anything the whole Eclipse hangs and I have to interrupt it via task manager.

I was not able to reproduce this. Is there some specific sequence of events I need to follow? Do any exceptions appear in your Eclipse ".log" file?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby nph » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:09 am

I can recreate it in the following way:
Before closing Eclipse i have a windowbuilder java file selected in the java view I also have the source tab active.
Then closing Eclipse.
Starting it again.
When it comes up before doing anything else I try to access for example the file menu and the menu gets up but I am not able to select anything from the menu and Eclipse hangs.

If I do i this way it works:
Starting Eclipse.
Select the design tab.
Then try to access the file menu and it shows up and I can select entries from it.

The log does not say much following is the log for two sessions the first one hanged and second worked. I did it as described above.
!SESSION dec 15, 2004 14:58:15.818 ---------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.4.2_06
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=sv_SE
Command-line arguments: -Xms128M

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.filebuffers 4 0 dec 15, 2004 14:58:15.818
!MESSAGE The content type with id "com.objfac.xmlbuddy.xmlfile" specified in the extension point does not exist.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi dec 15, 2004 14:58:56.648
!MESSAGE The class "org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.HTMLPrinter" cannot be loaded because the system is shutting down and the plug-in "org.eclipse.jdt.ui" has already been stopped.
!STACK 0
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: The class "org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.HTMLPrinter" cannot be loaded because the system is shutting down and the plug-in "org.eclipse.jdt.ui" has already been stopped.
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseClassLoader.shouldActivateFor(EclipseClassLoader.java:147)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseClassLoader.findLocalClass(EclipseClassLoader.java:62)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:371)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:402)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.AbstractClassLoader.loadClass(AbstractClassLoader.java:93)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavadocHover.getHoverInfo(JavadocHover.java:49)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.AbstractJavaEditorTextHover.getHoverInfo(AbstractJavaEditorTextHover.java:118)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.BestMatchHover.getHoverInfo(BestMatchHover.java:102)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.hover.JavaEditorTextHoverProxy.getHoverInfo(JavaEditorTextHoverProxy.java:69)
at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewerHoverManager$4.run(TextViewerHoverManager.java:160)
!SESSION dec 15, 2004 15:00:08.43 ----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.4.2_06
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=sv_SE
Command-line arguments: -Xms128M

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.filebuffers 4 0 dec 15, 2004 15:00:08.43
!MESSAGE The content type with id "com.objfac.xmlbuddy.xmlfile" specified in the extension point does not exist.
nph

Return to SWT Designer