Plugins Design

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Plugins Design

Postby allawy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:38 pm

Hi;

Just bought SWT-Designer Advanced, Cool tool, really thanks...

I wonder if there will be a wizard (or maybe a way) to build a plugin inteface just like JFace ApplicationWindow? I mean with actions and menus and so...

Is SWT-Designer going to support Forms when they are out with M8?
allawy

Re: Plugins Design

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:52 am

allawy wrote:I wonder if there will be a wizard (or maybe a way) to build a plugin inteface just like JFace ApplicationWindow? I mean with actions and menus and so...

What did you have in mind? Do you mean something that would just generate plugin.xml artifacts or something else? Have you looked at the wizards provided with the PDE?

allawy wrote:Is SWT-Designer going to support Forms when they are out with M8?

We do plan to support the Eclipse Forms package sometime prior to 3.0 going GA. I doubt that we will support it as early as M8 though.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby allawy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:52 am

Hi;

Thanks for the reply...

What I ment is something like the the JFace ApplicationWinodw, in this great tool I have the ability to create Action in a wonderful way, so if there is a wizard that can make me design a view and add actions to it, this would be perfect...

What I do now is create an SWT Frame, use it in the view, and add the actions manually.

So what I would love is something that let you add a view to your pugin, and manage the actions (not building it from scratch cause we already have this :) )
allawy

Postby allawy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:17 am

What can I say, I just downloaded the new build of SWT-Designer and I found something I really want, a designer for ViewPart, SWT-Designer is one of my best investment! I really appreciate it very much!

Thanks!!!

Now come the comments and questions :)

is there a way I can add to it menus and buttons? and why it can't register it self in the plugin.xml automatically? is this planed or already there?
allawy

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:12 am

allawy wrote:is there a way I can add to it menus and buttons? and why it can't register it self in the plugin.xml automatically? is this planed or already there?

I would say that all of the above is planned. We will probably handle toolbars and view menus similarly to what we did for JFace ApplicationWindows (e.g., a separate Actions page for creating them and assigning them to the toolbar and view menu). As far as updating the plugin.xml is concerned, we do plan to do more there. If the view is already registered in the plugin.xml, you can use Designer to update the views title and icon. Ultimatley, we would like the ViewPArt wizard to create the initial plugin.xml entry itself.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby allawy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:18 pm

Eric;

Thanks, let me here say a very special thanks to SWT-Designer Team, the tool is a life saver to me, I have a project building a set of plugins for a client of mine, and I was way behind, now I'm recovering, really thanks...

As for the Actions and menu, I can hardly wait, I hope they come so soon like next week :), cause I'm in the battle field now :)
allawy

Return to SWT Designer