How do i access other widgets without a static variable?

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

How do i access other widgets without a static variable?

Postby Pippo » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:13 pm

Hi there i am testing the designer but i stumble in a few problems, i am new to java so maybe its something due to this in which case i apologize in advance..

a) how do i access other widgets.. say i want to write "hello" on a textarea when i press a button. Since you're using anonymous classes there is no way i can see other variables in the main class .. i see in your demo that you press the "make a variable" button and a static appears thus allowing something like
mainwindow.text.settext ()

BUT how is that going to allow me to have more instances of the same window?? that's a definite must in my case as in basically any application? (multiple detail windows..)

please advice. if there is no wat should the class from which the handler is derived have a variable that holds a pointer to the class that generated the widget?

I have a solution in the form of instantiating the window variable (thus handling all OUTSIDE the static main method) a simple code looks like this

public class GuiWindow {

private Text text;
private Button button;

public static void main(String[] args) {
GuiWindow Window = new GuiWindow();
Window.addWidgets();
}
/**
*/
private void addWidgets() {
final Display display = new Display();
final Shell shell = new Shell();
shell.setLayout(new GridLayout());
shell.setText("SWT Application");
{
final Composite composite = new Composite(shell, SWT.NONE);
composite.setLayout(new GridLayout());
}
{
text = new Text(shell, SWT.BORDER);
text.setLayoutData(new GridData());
}
{
button = new Button(shell, SWT.NONE);
button.setLayoutData(new GridData(GridData.GRAB_HORIZONTAL));
button.addSelectionListener(new SelectionAdapter() {
public void widgetSelected(SelectionEvent e) {
text.setText("pippo");
}
});
button.setText("button");
}
shell.open();
while (!shell.isDisposed()) {
if (!display.readAndDispatch())
display.sleep();
}
}
}

BUt of the swt-designer doesnt understand anything anymore if i do this and starts random messing the code.

b) Menues only available in the pro versions? since when menues are a pro features? i recall menues being there in c64 stuff about 20 years ago. inst it a slightely excessive limitation?

c) is any academic price available? i am a student and 199 is about 15 times as much as i'd gladly pay

Thanks.
Pippo

Re: How do i access other widgets without a static variable?

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:59 pm

Pippo wrote:BUT how is that going to allow me to have more instances of the same window?

Very simple. Rather than defining the widgets in a static method, you can define them in an instance method as you have done in your example. SWT Designer does not care either way. It will happily generate code in whatever structure you like. I loaded up your example and Designer was able to edit it (add, remove and modify widgets) without any problems.

Pippo wrote:I have a solution in the form of instantiating the window variable (thus handling all OUTSIDE the static main method) a simple code looks like this

That is a perfectly valid solution to the problem you raise and a solution that is perfectly compatible with the Designer. The Designer ships with a number of templates for creating different types of SWT and JFace window and dialog types. You can also easily create and use your own templates (as you have effectively done in your example) and use those instead.

Pippo wrote:But of the swt-designer doesnt understand anything anymore if i do this and starts random messing the code.

Please be more specific. What version of Eclipse are you using? What version of Designer? Were any exceptions recorded to your Eclipse ".log" file? I tried your example and it worked just fine.

Pippo wrote:Menues only available in the pro versions? since when menues are a pro features? i recall menues being there in c64 stuff about 20 years ago. inst it a slightely excessive limitation?

Yes.
Since we get to decide which features go into each version.
No.

You need to understand that we are in the business of selling commercial development tools. We are not in the business of giving away powerful software for free. The free edition of Designer is more than good enough for learning SWT or casual development using SWT. If you want to use the tool for serious development purposes, then we want you to pay for it and help support our development efforts.

Over time, the gap in features between the free and pro version will become greater and greater. In addition to menu support, other keys features of the pro version include:

Support for FormLayout
    Support for JFace Wizards and ApplicationWindows
    Support creating and using custom composite widgets (frames)
    Support for multiple widget editing
Going forward, we will be adding things like the following to the pro version:

Support for custom widget templates
    Support for method callouts and visual inheritance
    Support for more SWT and JFace templates
    Support for multiple widget alignment and distribution
    Support for additional code generation styles
Pippo wrote:is any academic price available? i am a student and 199 is about 15 times as much as i'd gladly pay

Yes. Academic pricing is available (contact our sales department for details), but I can tell you up front that it isn't anywhere near $13/copy. Sorry.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby Pippo » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:46 am

The Designer ships with a number of templates for creating different types of SWT and JFace window and dialog types. You can also easily create and use your own templates (as you have effectively done in your example) and use those instead.

How would i do that?

Please be more specific. What version of Eclipse are you using? What version of Designer? Were any exceptions recorded to your Eclipse ".log" file? I tried your example and it worked just fine.

I tried again myself and this time it worked :-/

Since we get to decide which features go into each version.
No.
You need to understand that we are in the business of selling commercial development tools. We are not in the business of giving away powerful software for free.

I understand, its your code.. but i think some people might skip considering alltogether due to the excessive limitations in the free edition?expecially academic... on the other hand when one is considering it and using it its very likely that at a certain point he will chose to upgrade.
Pippo

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:51 am

Pippo wrote:How would i do that?

Basically, do exactly as you have done. Create your own template (you could take your example and delete the widgets to create a good template), and any time you want to create a new class using that template, use copy and paste in the workbench. It will prompt you for a new name and refactor the class to use that name. As I stated earlier, the Designer will happily edit that template (and update the addWidgets() method rather than the main() method).

Pippo wrote:I understand, its your code.. but i think some people might skip considering alltogether due to the excessive limitations in the free edition?expecially academic... on the other hand when one is considering it and using it its very likely that at a certain point he will chose to upgrade.

If the free version contained all of the features needed by 99% of the users, very few of them would upgrade to the pro version. Also, I disagree with your conclusion that the free version contains "excessive limitations". If anything, the free version is a bit too good, and the disparity between the two versions isn't large enough to convince any reasonable percentage of users to upgrade (and there are currently more than 10K active users of the free version). We hope to rectify that problem by adding major new features to the pro version only (the free version will continue to gain new features as well, but they will be more incremental in nature).
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby miaomiao » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:12 pm

i can't use swt-desiger deal with Pippo's code ;
in .log it show that:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.563
!MESSAGE Problems encountered loading the plug-in registry.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.563
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd.source" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.source.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.sd.trace" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.sd.trace.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.doc" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.doc.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.core" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.core.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.codegen" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.source" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.source.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.sdb.doc.user" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.sdb.doc.user.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.reference.doc.user" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.reference.doc.user.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.573
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.sd.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.sd.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.sdb" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.sdb.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.security" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.security.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.edit" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.edit.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.infopop" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.infopop.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.gef.source" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.gef.source.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.models.common" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.models.common.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.583
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui.doc.user" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui.doc.user.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.logging.parsers" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.logging.parsers.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.editor" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.editor.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.draw2d" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.draw2d.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.gef.doc.isv" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.gef.doc.isv.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.ecore" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.sd.logc" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.sd.logc.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.593
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.common" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.common.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.doc.user" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.doc.user.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.execution.doc.user" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.views.execution.doc.user.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui.infopop" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui.infopop.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.log.ui.infopop" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.log.ui.infopop.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.collection.framework.java.doc.user" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.collection.framework.java.doc.user.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.log.ui.doc.user" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.log.ui.doc.user.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd.test" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.test.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.mapping" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.643
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.common.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.common.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.source" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.source.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.653
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.log.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.log.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.examples" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.examples.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.models" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.models.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd.editor" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.editor.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd.edit" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.edit.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd.doc" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.doc.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.edit" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.edit.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 四月 04, 2004 09:23:59.663
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.memory.analysis" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.memory.analysis.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore.editor" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore.editor.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.logc" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.logc.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.gef" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.gef.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SESSION 四月 04, 2004 09:24:22.616

what's i should do ???
miaomiao

Postby miaomiao » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:16 pm

i can't use swt-desiger deal with Pippo's code ;
in .log it show that:

!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd.edit" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.edit.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.xsd.doc" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.xsd.doc.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.edit" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.edit.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.memory.analysis" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.memory.analysis.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.trace.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore.editor" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore.editor.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore.ui" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.codegen.ecore.ui.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.hyades.logc" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.hyades.logc.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.emf.mapping.xsd2ecore.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!MESSAGE Plug-in descriptor "org.eclipse.gef" not found for fragment "org.eclipse.gef.nl1". Fragment ignored.
!SESSION 四月 04, 2004 09:24:22.616

what's i should do ???
miaomiao

Postby miaomiao » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:20 pm

i'm sorry
post too fast;
i restart my eclipse ,it's work well now.
Sorry
miaomiao

Return to SWT Designer