SWT-designer seems to complicated. I want some flash demos..

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

SWT-designer seems to complicated. I want some flash demos..

Postby scharf » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:10 am

I find it incredibly hard to use swt-designer. The documentation is a endless list of features. For example, the help page for FormLayout tells me about 20 preference options but does not explain how to use the FormLayout. Other help pages explain details but it's hard to follow.

I wish there where a few good flash demos that show how to create a nice layout.

Currently, I'm thinking if I should spend my time to figure out how swt-designer works of if it is better to learn more about SWT and continue doing my layouts by hand.

Don't get me wrong. SWT-designer seems to be a great technology, but it give no real guidance in building nice UI. You have to know exactly what you do. And you have to learn what all the graphical hints mean. Which seems to be additional effort. The problem is, there are too many choices and no guidance. When I learn how to use GridLayout and how to use it "by hand", it seems much simpler than the endless choices I have with SWT designer.

I want so "look over the shoulder" of an experienced SWT-designer user to learn how to efficiently use the tool. Right now I'm lost and it seems not worth the effort to learn this complicated tool.

Michael
scharf

Re: SWT-designer seems to complicated. I want some flash dem

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:36 am

scharf wrote:I find it incredibly hard to use swt-designer. The documentation is a endless list of features. For example, the help page for FormLayout tells me about 20 preference options but does not explain how to use the FormLayout. Other help pages explain details but it's hard to follow.

Hmmm. It sounds like you are only looking at the docs for the FormLayout preference page.

Have you looked at the docs for FormLayout itself?

scharf wrote:I wish there where a few good flash demos that show how to create a nice layout.

Have you watched all of our existing flash demos?

Have you watched the FormLayout flash demo?

scharf wrote:Don't get me wrong. SWT-designer seems to be a great technology, but it give no real guidance in building nice UI.

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for. "Nice" sounds quite subjective. The goal of the Designer docs (all 120+ pages of them) are to explain each feature of the product in detail.

scharf wrote:And you have to learn what all the graphical hints mean.

AFAIK, all of the graphical hints are described in the docs. If there is anything not documented, that is a deficiency in the docs that needs to be corrected.

scharf wrote:When I learn how to use GridLayout and how to use it "by hand", it seems much simpler than the endless choices I have with SWT designer.

I can assure you that creating GridLayouts in SWT Designer is far easier than doing it by hand. Managing filler cells is a nightmare, if you do it by hand. SWT Designer hides that complexity from you completely.

Have you found the docs on using GridLayout?

scharf wrote:I want so "look over the shoulder" of an experienced SWT-designer user to learn how to efficiently use the tool. Right now I'm lost and it seems not worth the effort to learn this complicated tool.

Starting with the on-line flash demos seems like a good place to start.

Reviewing the docs on the various Layout Managers would also be a good idea, since the graphical feedbacks are specific to each layout manager.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer